A good day casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ericofpendom

We had a great day of sunshine here in the UK yesterday so I thought I would get busy with some casting. I made 64 3/4" x 6". Hope you like the results.

Eric...

Attachments

• DSCF5785.jpg
    DSCF5785.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 694

ericofpendom

I already sell them 3Peake, the members at my local woodturning club buy them. We are having an all day demo this coming Saturday 15th with Simon Whitehead doing the turning. You are more than welcome to come along if you are not too far away. Have a look at www.westpenninewoodturning.co.uk for further details.

Eric...

ugrad

They look great Eric and so many, do you use a pressure/vacuum pots? Can you tell me what kind of pigments you use and if possible where do you buy them. I can only find really expensive ones and even then only a few grams each.

Regards
Peter

ericofpendom

Peter, I use a pressure pot, although I'm not sure that it is needed.

Pigments - ABL Stevens (Resin & Glass) Ltd.

This is a link to the company I get my resin and pigments from. They are only small pots but they go a heck of a long way. I did all the searches for Pearlex and found them to be very expensive but you just use the Natural Pearl and then the translucent colours. I will post some pictures of the pots later. Have a look at an earlier thread of mine to see my casting setup.

Regards

Eric...

ericofpendom

Wiset1, I am casting between 12 and 16 at a time so it's not too hard to get a few done in the day. I'm just trying to beat the weather over here as I have no easy way of heating my workspace and SWMBO won't let me cast in the house for some reason!!

Eric...

Hi Eric
I tried to find your casting setup but cant find it.
I also get my material from AB Stevens but Im lookin your castin procedures and what type of pipe are you usin ect
wullie

ugrad

Peter, I use a pressure pot, although I'm not sure that it is needed.

Pigments - ABL Stevens (Resin & Glass) Ltd.

This is a link to the company I get my resin and pigments from. They are only small pots but they go a heck of a long way. I did all the searches for Pearlex and found them to be very expensive but you just use the Natural Pearl and then the translucent colours. I will post some pictures of the pots later. Have a look at an earlier thread of mine to see my casting setup.

Regards

Eric...

Thanks Eric, when you say use the natural pearl then the translucent colours, do you mean mix the two together?

I saw your casting setup, thanks for that, when you pour two or more colours into a tube do you use a wire or something to dip in and try to swirl the colours?

I have been looking at this place <http://www.greenshop.co.uk/natural-paint-128/pigments-197/earthborn-pigments-177/?osCsid=427c48900c557941c81d926b406ca4ea> as an alternative to pearlex, the price looks okay for 75gr especially the golds and silver, but I don't know if it will work in the same way, do you have any opinion?

Regards
Peter

Hi Eric
Thanks for information, I have tried casting couple times and failed miserably
Heating the resin has been mentioned but to what temp and why? and at what temp should room be when the resin is curing? also pressure but to what pressure should be in vessel and for how long and why, I think its got something to do with air bubbles trapped in resin but what does pressure do?
thanks again
Wullie

ericofpendom

Peter, I pour the neat resin in the cups ready to take the colours. I usually do 4 colours, 4oz in each cup. I then mix in a tiny amount of the natural pearl into each cup, mix it well. Then add the translucent or opaque colour of your choice and again mix well. Once all the four colours are mixed and your moulds are ready then add the catalyst to each colour and mix well again. I add the same amount of catalyst to each colour and I have had good results. I add 2cc to 4oz of resin. I sometimes use a very fine streched spring to try and swirl the colours but I usually just take pot luck. I am working on a 4 colour pouring system that will enable me to pour all four colours at once. I have done a three colour version yesterday but have yet to try it out, Work keeps getting in the way:-( Hope this helps.

Wullie, I do my casting in the garage and there is no heat in there. I have only just started casting so I have yet to try it in a cold environment. On Saturday, although the weather was warm I thought I would try and heat the resin a little to make it easier to pour. I filled a Tupperware box with hot tap water and stood my 4 cups of resin in it whilst I mixed the colours in. This worked a treat and really thinned the resin. I took it out of the water before I added the catalyst just in case too much heat caused it to gel too quickly. Make sure you wipe the water off the outside of the cups properly before you pour. As far as pressure is concerned I take my pot to 50psi and leave it for about 30mins. Once the resin has gelled then the pressure can no longer get any bubbles out so you might as well get on with the next batch. On Saturday I took my tubes out of the mould rack after 30mins and put them in a Quality Street tin, put the lid on and set it in the sun for an hour. Could just about touch them when I took them out, left them in the garage to cool down slowly and then they popped straight out of the moulds, hard as rock.

Hope this helps.

Eric...

ericofpendom

[/QUOTE]
I have been looking at this place <http://www.greenshop.co.uk/natural-paint-128/pigments-197/earthborn-pigments-177/?osCsid=427c48900c557941c81d926b406ca4ea> as an alternative to pearlex, the price looks okay for 75gr especially the golds and silver, but I don't know if it will work in the same way, do you have any opinion?

Regards
Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter I have just been given some gold and silver paste by a guy that works for a printing company. I have tried them out but I am not too impressed. The gold has a dirty green tint to it and the silver just looks like grey. They are nothing like the colour of the original paste. I will take some pics of the paste and cast blanks to show you.

Eric...

ugrad

Peter, I pour the neat resin in the cups ready to take the colours. I usually do 4 colours, 4oz in each cup. I then mix in a tiny amount of the natural pearl into each cup, mix it well. Then add the translucent or opaque colour of your choice and again mix well. Once all the four colours are mixed and your moulds are ready then add the catalyst to each colour and mix well again. I add the same amount of catalyst to each colour and I have had good results. I add 2cc to 4oz of resin. I sometimes use a very fine streched spring to try and swirl the colours but I usually just take pot luck. I am working on a 4 colour pouring system that will enable me to pour all four colours at once. I have done a three colour version yesterday but have yet to try it out, Work keeps getting in the way:-( Hope this helps.
Eric...

Yes, thanks Eric, it helps a lot. I have only made one casting and am gearing up to try pen blanks. It will be interesting to see your multi pour system if you don't mind. One more question, when you pour do you let the mixes start to gel or do you pour before they are gelling?

regards
Peter

ericofpendom

Hi Peter, I keep stirring the colours until I feel them get a little thicker. I also drizzle a bit of each colour off the stirring stick over each other and see if the blend, if they don't then I start to pour. It is still a bit hit and miss but good fun all the same.

Eric...

Hi again Eric sorry to keep bothering you but Ive just realized that you say you mix natural pearl into each cup before addin the colours is this what Ive been doin wrong as Ive not got any of this pearl stuff what does oit do to mixture
thanks agin
willie

ericofpendom

Hi again Eric sorry to keep bothering you but Ive just realized that you say you mix natural pearl into each cup before addin the colours is this what Ive been doin wrong as Ive not got any of this pearl stuff what does oit do to mixture
thanks agin
willie

Hi Wullie, sorry for the delay in reply but work has gotten in the way again. The natural pearl gives the resin the pearlescent appearance. If I did not add this the colours would just be translucent and the brass tube would be very visible. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, I am more than happy to help if I can.

Eric...

ericofpendom

Thanks Eric
I will get some natural pearl from ABL Stevens also a wee ? the 4ozs I take its fluid ozs and not weight
thanks again
willie

Hi Wullie, the 4ozs is weight. I bought a set of digital scales from tesco for ÂŁ9. They are great. 4ozs works out to about 80ml * 2% for the MEKP is 1.6ml. Some people use 4 drops per ounce. I bought a catalyst dispenser from my resin supplier.

Regards

Eric...

ugrad

Hi Eric, Thanks for all the info, just a couple of loose ends if you don't mind?

I have loads of paper cup and a few plastic cups, have you used both, do you see any problem with paper cups?

I went to Wickes today and got some 22mm push fit overflow pipe which is about 18mm internal diameter so that seems okay, but their 15mm pushfit is only about 11mm internal is that enough for pen blanks?

If we get a bit of sun this week I will be casting my first 6, I have to do it outdoors, with my mask on, as the resin affects my breathing dramatically

Regards
Peter

ericofpendom

Hi Eric, Thanks for all the info, just a couple of loose ends if you don't mind?

I have loads of paper cup and a few plastic cups, have you used both, do you see any problem with paper cups?

I went to Wickes today and got some 22mm push fit overflow pipe which is about 18mm internal diameter so that seems okay, but their 15mm pushfit is only about 11mm internal is that enough for pen blanks?

If we get a bit of sun this week I will be casting my first 6, I have to do it outdoors, with my mask on, as the resin affects my breathing dramatically

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter, I have only used plastic cups for mixing. I buy 100 for ÂŁ1.99 from my local poundstrecher.

I have used the 15mm pipe for casting slimline pen blanks. I sell them at 80pence each or 7 for a fiver. They just need a bit more care when drilling. They are fine for the slimline and the streamline pen kits, and hardly any waste. They only take around 13ml of resin to make.

I think you are being a little optimistic about the sunshine but good luck and post some pics when you have them cast.

Eric...

ugrad

Hi Peter, I have only used plastic cups for mixing. I buy 100 for ÂŁ1.99 from my local poundstrecher.

I have used the 15mm pipe for casting slimline pen blanks. I sell them at 80pence each or 7 for a fiver. They just need a bit more care when drilling. They are fine for the slimline and the streamline pen kits, and hardly any waste. They only take around 13ml of resin to make.

I think you are being a little optimistic about the sunshine but good luck and post some pics when you have them cast.

Eric...

Down here it is Poundland and I had forgotten about them, I will have a look tomorrow.

It's not optomistic about the sunshine, today was overcast with bursts of sunshine, don't forget I am "darn sarf" we have exotic weather compared to north of Watford, seriously, tomorrow is supposed to be a cracker and if I cover everything in a plastic greenhouse the temperatures reach into the 30's if not 40's.

Yes I will post pics even if they are failures.

regards
Peter

Last edited:
Hi Eric
May I say thanks Eric for your instructions on casting I have tried a couple with just some colour by no natural pearl and with great success best Ive done so far I am fair chuffed with the them and it was so easy following your instructions now how long have I to wait till I can drill and turn them
Thanks again
willie

ugrad

Hi Eric

I got everything ready and the sun was shining, but the resin went from fluid to gel so quickly I couldn't pour it. I mixed another batch and I was using an ultra sonic bath to get the air bubbles out and it seemed to do a good job, I will only really know when I come to drill and turn them. I only managed to get 2 blanks which are still curing. I will take a photo once I have them out of the tubes.

Regards
Peter

ericofpendom

Hi Eric
May I say thanks Eric for your instructions on casting I have tried a couple with just some colour by no natural pearl and with great success best Ive done so far I am fair chuffed with the them and it was so easy following your instructions now how long have I to wait till I can drill and turn them
Thanks again
willie

Hi Wullie, so glad I could be of some help. I would give them a couple of days before using them, make sure they are really hard. I wrap them in cling film and put them on the under floor heating in the bathroom over night and they are fine then.

Make sure to post some pictures.

Eric...

ericofpendom

Hi Eric

I got everything ready and the sun was shining, but the resin went from fluid to gel so quickly I couldn't pour it. I mixed another batch and I was using an ultra sonic bath to get the air bubbles out and it seemed to do a good job, I will only really know when I come to drill and turn them. I only managed to get 2 blanks which are still curing. I will take a photo once I have them out of the tubes.

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter, I had the same problem with the resin gelling up quickly so I used less MEKP on the next batch. Can't wait to see your pics.

Eric...

ugrad

Here is a photo showing the resin which gelled far to quickly and also the two blanks I managed to pour. Not up to your standards, Eric, but I will get there.

The tubes I tried to get some of the gelled up resin into have still got remnants of the resin inside, it wouldn't come out cleanly, the two complete blanks came out easily and cleanly. Do you think I should throw away the tubes with remnants in?

Regards
Peter

Attachments

• first_attempt.jpg
    first_attempt.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

ericofpendom

Here is a photo showing the resin which gelled far to quickly and also the two blanks I managed to pour. Not up to your standards, Eric, but I will get there.

The tubes I tried to get some of the gelled up resin into have still got remnants of the resin inside, it wouldn't come out cleanly, the two complete blanks came out easily and cleanly. Do you think I should throw away the tubes with remnants in?

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter, I don't know how much MEKP you used but it looks like far too much. I like the bottom blank, the blue colour looks really good. Try and clean the tubes out once the resin has cured properly but bin them if it's too much of a pain. Keep at it Peter, the rewards are worth it.

Regards

Eric...

ugrad

Hi Peter, I don't know how much MEKP you used but it looks like far too much. I like the bottom blank, the blue colour looks really good. Try and clean the tubes out once the resin has cured properly but bin them if it's too much of a pain. Keep at it Peter, the rewards are worth it.

Regards

Eric...

Hi Eric, I poured some more today, micro pearl + amber poured with copper and they look nice to me, I will take a photo tomorrow. I poured 6 and a there was a touch leftover so it went into a spare tube.

Interestingly I used one of the tubes that had slight bits of resin on the side from the last pour and it all came out cleanly.

I need to work on my colours although I much prefer dark rather than vivid and electric.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Peter

Last edited:

ericofpendom

Hi SAgin Eric
Another wee ? how long does is the shelf life of the resin and pigments used they are kept at normal room temp
Thanks again
willie

Hi Wullie, the guy at Southport shop said that I should use the resin within 3 months of buying it but that may have just been to cover his own back. I don't see me having any that long to be honest, I just had another 5kg delivered today so I hope to get some more casting this weekend.

Regards

Eric...

ericofpendom

Regards

Eric...

Hi Eric, I poured some more today, micro pearl + amber poured with copper and they look nice to me, I will take a photo tomorrow. I poured 6 and a there was a touch leftover so it went into a spare tube.

Interestingly I used one of the tubes that had slight bits of resin on the side from the last pour and it all came out cleanly.

I need to work on my colours although I much prefer dark rather than vivid and electric.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter, where did you get the copper colour from?

Eric...

ugrad

ericofpendom said:
Hi Peter, where did you get the copper colour from?

Eric...

Hi Eric

I bought a set of metalic pearlex from ebay at a good price some weeks ago. It won't last long though 12 pots @ 3gr.

Regards
Peter

Last edited:

ugrad

Hi Eric, I also bought some mica pearl from this seller who has a great deal with these metallics. They haven't arrived yet, but should be here soon. These are 6gr @ and far cheaper.

<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-Mica-Pearl-Powders-Metallic-Extra-Free-very-mini-misting-spray-/120929775169?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item1c27f9ee41#ht_753wt_650>

Regards
Peter

ericofpendom

Hi Eric, I also bought some mica pearl from this seller who has a great deal with these metallics. They haven't arrived yet, but should be here soon. These are 6gr @ and far cheaper.

<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-Mica-Pearl-Powders-Metallic-Extra-Free-very-mini-misting-spray-/120929775169?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item1c27f9ee41#ht_753wt_650>

Regards
Peter

Thanks Peter, I just bought a set.

Eric...

Top Bottom