A few of 30 cheese slicers - before and after

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

We have six main designs and I've been on a daily quest to make five of each design. Five per day works out with my interest and Bessey clamps. It takes me three days until they are tagged and ready to display.

Cherry inlay and walnut inlay cheese slicers.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 95
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Some more steps.

Routing edges
Measuring for holes
Drilling on drill press using Microjig fixture
Close up of laser alignment
Neat holes
Rockler sled for slot cutting (top down)
Slots after cutting

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpeg
    IMG_4377.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4379.jpeg
    IMG_4379.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 72

mmayo

A cherry inlay cheese slicer during glue up. Love those Bessey clamps - avoid the jar's!!! Titebond 3 only.

Today's glue up of five cherry inlay cheese slicers. Now to sand the walnut ones.

Last photo is after considerable hand sanding with my two Bosch sanders: 100 grit on ends, 150, 220 everywhere and 320 on the front and back. My customers buy through their eyes and their fingers. They expect to feel the inlay and never do.

Attachments

• IMG_4384.jpeg
    IMG_4384.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4385.jpeg
    IMG_4385.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4387.jpeg
    IMG_4387.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

mmayo

Will they hold up? Cross-grain and end-grain glued together?
Yes, they have been in use and for sale for over five years. Zero returns! We are a small community with over 500 sold to date and with a storefront to bring back and make a complaint. Zero failures. TiteBond 3, very smooth joint surfaces and great, broad clamping pressure.

PreacherJon

Yes, they have been in use and for sale for over five years. Zero returns! We are a small community with over 500 sold to date and with a storefront to bring back and make a complaint. Zero failures. TiteBond 3, very smooth joint surfaces and great, broad clamping pressure.
Doesn't matter the glue... boards are going to move in different directions.

mmayo

Doesn't matter the glue... boards are going to move in different directions.
Have you made any like this and seen catastrophic movement? Do YOU make cutting boards or cheese slicers?

Make one and see how they move for you. I have made hundreds and they don't.

Glue does matter with a kitchen object that will get wet! The glue must be waterproof and carefully applied and clamped.

Funny how you disagree with someone based on rules when lots hard data to the contrary is given by me. I've been posting about these very cheese slicers for years on IAP. Kind members have asked permission to make them in limited numbers in other states.

I get the concepts of wood movement rules and try to abide, but this style has been wildly popular and has shown no issues as you predict. My customers buy using their eyes first and then their fingers to feel that inlay. They expect it to feel different going across the inlay - my sale comes when they determine it is smooth and they smile.

Last edited:

PreacherJon

Have you made any like this and seen catastrophic movement? Do YOU make cutting boards or cheese slicers?

Make one and see how they move for you. I have made hundreds and they don't.

Glue does matter with a kitchen object that will get wet! The glue must be waterproof and carefully applied and clamped.

Funny how you disagree with someone based on rules when lots hard data to the contrary is given by me. I've been posting about these very cheese slicers for years on IAP. Kind members have asked permission to make them in limited numbers in other states.

I get the concepts of wood movement rules and try to abide, but this style has been wildly popular and has shown no issues as you predict. My customers buy using their eyes first and then their fingers to feel that inlay. They expect it to feel different going across the inlay - my sale comes when they determine it is smooth and they smile.
Yes, yes... I've been working with wood for over 55 years. Wood moves and I still say it is foolish to glue end grain with straight grain.

mmayo

Robert,

There is a current commercial where someone makes a statement that someone else disagrees and they drop the challenge flag like in the NFL. I dropped the challenge flag to you to prove your disparaging statements about my work.

It's time for us to see your proof by making the same cheese slicer and showing us the wood movement you talk about, but do not show. If not, please cease and desist until you have evidence to back up your assertions not just talk.

I show work not just talk to help others to make items in addition to pens.

1080Wayne

Hate to see an argument develop between two people who both do excellent work that I enjoy seeing , bit I believe there are some considerations that haven`t entered the discussion , and should .
You both live in vastly different climates , and that greatly affects wood stability . Tehachapi`s average annual precipitation is 11 inches , most of it in the winter . Wood expansion in both directions will be much less under those conditions , and the difference between longitudinal and radial will be less .
Given that , I can well believe that Mark has seen zero problems , as probably a large number of his customers live in a similar climate . But , I would also suggest that those receiving a gift of one of his beautiful cheeseboards who live in an area like Robert`s would not complain should it develop irregularities .
There may be one other factor . The white wood bordering the cross cut pieces may have lower longitudinal expansion than the wood making up the bulk of the board . That could alleviate the potential problem , but I doubt that approach would be enough to guarantee no problems under Robert`s conditions .
Glues have definitely improved - the current discussion on oily glues is proof of that . But , wood is wood , and will behave accordingly , unless stabilized , and then it only looks like wood .
Enough one finger typing for today .

Top Bottom