A Few New Fountain Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larryreitz

Larryreitz

There seems to be more interest in fountain pens at A&C shows lately, so I've made a few new ones.

The first is a mistake that I think turned out fairly well. It is an elongated Triton. I didn't pay attention to the extra tubes I ordered and it turns out I used the tubes for the Triton ball point. Fortunately they are the same diameter as the fountain, only a bit longer on the bottom
tube which eliminates the possibility of conversion to a rollerball, but that's OK.
_MG_8841.jpg

It is dressed in stabilized Pepper Corn Tree burl from George's Bits of Timber

The Second is a Manager recommended by Ed from Exotics Blanks as an entry level fountain pen for those who may want to try one out to see if they like it. It is dressed in wood from an ornamental Yew that I cut down because it was out of control. I'm liking both the pen and the wood. Additional wood from the yews has been saved for use in higher level pens
_MG_8839.jpg

The third is a Virage dressed in Cork Tree burl, also from George's Bits of Timber.
_MG_8846.jpg

Comments and criticism are most welcome.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

The timber in no. 1 and 3 is new to me and you have made excellent use of it . I like all three of your pens, and the finish that you have on them.
Alan

Larryreitz

Thanks Alan and Chippa. I got the blanks from George's Bits of Timber. His user name on this site is Robutacion. Very nice to deal with and delivery from Australia to the US was only about two weeks. All three were finished with GluBoost CA.
Larry

Very nice group of fountain pens, well done. And I like that on the Yew it was from your own tree, nice way to use wood that would normally be burned or sent to a landfill (although it would degrade quickly). You did note that there seems to be an up-tic in people looking into fountain pens. I'm noticing the same and had my first order this year from a guy in Amsterdam. I'm thinking there might start to be a stronger interest in the fountain pen market.

Larryreitz

Very nice group of fountain pens, well done. And I like that on the Yew it was from your own tree, nice way to use wood that would normally be burned or sent to a landfill (although it would degrade quickly). You did note that there seems to be an up-tic in people looking into fountain pens. I'm noticing the same and had my first order this year from a guy in Amsterdam. I'm thinking there might start to be a stronger interest in the fountain pen market.

Thanks John and Tom. I agree on the Yew shrub. I probably have enough cut up and drying to make 30-40 more pens. Being the impatient guy that I am the one pictured on the Manager pen was from a small branch which I turned to round before popping it in the toaster oven for a few hours. The branches had been outside for 2-4 months so it wasn't extremely water laden. The rest was cut up more or less to size and the ends sealed with candle wax to let it dry properly. Can't say I won't get impatient again and turn a few more after the "toaster oven treatment".

Larry

Top Bottom