a few more faded pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

old folks

I am sending a scan of a few more faded pens... this fading oe bleaching took only a couple of days. Can abybody tell me why this is happening please. It is happening to every pen I turn. Thank You

200562764413_fading%20pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

old folks

Not sure now what kind of wood... I always sand 150 grit-600 grit, then EEE and finish with Shellawax. See the light faded areas on the pens ? This is the problem I am asking about

2005627215946_bleaching%20pens%201.jpg
<br />

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
John--are these pens being used? It appears from your pictures that the finish may be wearing off. If that's the case, you may want to put a coat or two of lacquer over your Shellawax.

woodscavenger

When you said faded I thought you meant the color. If you really meant that the shine faded then Lou's comment is what you need to follow. For future pens you might want to look at doing a CA-BLo finish, wipe one poly, laquer, or one of the other more durable finishes.

old folks

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />John--are these pens being used? It appears from your pictures that the finish may be wearing off. If that's the case, you may want to put a coat or two of lacquer over your Shellawax.

Lou, the pens are not being used, they are sitting in a ziplock bag. I will show my ignorance now, what is the name of a good quality lacquer and how would I apply it.
I thought the pic clearly shows how the wood is lightening up in areas... I never see it in any members post of their pen pics.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by old folks
<br />

Lou, the pens are not being used, they are sitting in a ziplock bag.

First thing I would do is not store them in a ziplock bag. If the finish is not cured or outgassing it could cause a problem.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Mudder hit the problem. You need to give that Shellawax a chance to breathe. Although it may seem dry to the touch, a shellac finish will need some time to get to a full cure. Putting it into a sealed bag stops the evaporation.

What you have is the same thing as the white ring that forms in the surface when a hot or wet cup or glass is placed on a shellac table surface.

You can take the pens apart, resand them, and apply the finish again. The white spots should disappear as the finish is removed.

Check the tutorial for the SlimLine pen on my Website for some information on using Shellawax. It should help you get a better Shellawax finish.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen31.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom