A Double casting failure, bailed out with some nice Bethlehem Olive Wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

There seems to be a corollary between the urgency of the pen and the amount of failures I experience. I needed a pen for a parting gift for my boss at work. I planned a Puau Abalone blank cast in Liquid Diamond epoxy. After the 24 hour cure cycle, I pulled out the blank and the seam had opened up about a 1/16" the full length. I turned it down to brass and started again. I cut my Abalone sheet a little longer and re-wrapped the brass tube. It looked great. 24 hours later and found 1/4 of the Abalone pulled off the tube.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

I'm using Abalone sheet with a self sticking adhesive backing. The next ones will have added glue and some sitting time before casting.

Now with a single evening left to make the pen, I turned a nice piece of BOW. I used my homemade 20 degree negative rake carbide tool for the finishing passes leaving a smooth finish. The CA coating went on without a hitch, 9 coats of thin. Sanding with MM through 12000 and buffing with Pink rouge.

IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG

The kit is the PSI Nouveau Scepter Twist in Chrome and 24k gold.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I cast those abalone strips in silmar 41 all the time and have never had that problem. I'm wondering if the lengthy cure time in liquid is allowing them The opportunity to fall off.
The BOW pen looks great.

More4dan

Your probably right. I wouldn't have guessed that a glue would loosened the adhesive, but sitting in the liquid phase for hours certainly could. I will test some different glues with some scrap pieces before casting more. The sheet requires heating to reduce cracking when rolling on the tube. I notices the adhesive wanted to unstick when it got warm. This could also have been some of the problem.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

JohnU

Sounds like it, since the resin cures by building up heat. I'm guessing most cure quick enough to set the pieces in place but liquid diamond epoxy takes longer than anything else I've used. If your going to glue them on, try using 15 min epoxy and let them dry over night before you cast them. Good luck and keep at it!

magpens

Sorry to hear about your casting troubles !!

But your BOW pen looks very lovely and I am sure it will be a "hit" with the recipient !!!

Top Bottom