A Bit Of Turning Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

A friend a few miles the other side of town called at noon and asked if I wanted some wood from an apricot tree he had cut down a few hours earlier. He had dug the root out and sawed off all the extremities with an old chain on his saw.
I got this root ball as well the biggest of his logs. He has a heaping wheelbarrow of smaller ones that he is going to use for firewood.

To put the size of things here into perspective, none of those small logs is under 6" diameter.
Was getting toward dusk when I got home so I sprinkled some water on it and covered it with a tarp so it wouldn't dry out.
Tomorrow I will figure out how I am going to dissect that root ball with my chain saw and then apply anchor seal to all areas and pieces that require it.

Took two of us to lift that big piece in the vehicle and I rolled it out when I got home.
I am guessing well over 150 pounds.

RootBall1.jpg

RootBall2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Great score!!

Anchorseal will be your friend with that wood.
Hope you don't like the chain on that saw too much.... Rootballs often have rocks and such inbedded betweem the roots. Ruined a few chains and learned my lesson on rootballs! But if you don't happen to toast that chain, the wood will be worth it!!!!

Scott (fruity) B

W.Y.

Great score!!

Anchorseal will be your friend with that wood.
Hope you don't like the chain on that saw too much.... Rootballs often have rocks and such inbedded betweem the roots. Ruined a few chains and learned my lesson on rootballs! But if you don't happen to toast that chain, the wood will be worth it!!!!

Scott (fruity) B

Yep, I still have half a gallon of Anchorseal left.

I understand what you mean about the chain. Been there . . . done that many times . I always keep an old chain or two around for such cases.

Sometimes those root balls can produce beautiful blanks and other times they can be mostly firewood. The mystery lies within . . lol. .
My biggest problem with this one is that I only have a 18" bar on my saw so may have to cut in from both sides and try to meet in the middle. Easy to do on a good chain but harder to true up an old one to cut that straight.

Last edited:

Rick P

The mystery within root balls is well worth keeping an old chain around! Some of the coolest wood I have ever laid my hands on came from root balls and opening them up is like christmass morning. You get a treasure or trash and the only way to tell is to tear it open.

Top Bottom