60 Segment Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Beautiful, great job. As an aside, I made a 60 segment for my parents in celebration of their 60th anniversary.

Could we please see a picture of you 60 segment one.

As far as conventional segmentation goes this one would have been a 300 segment bowl because those are done by making separate rings and stacking them on top of one another . If I had staggered the rings , that would have shown up better.
I have made another board blank similar to this one except one type of wood is a different color . If I stagger the rings on that one after I cut them out of the board it will better show what I am describing .

With this one , it is a bowl from a board and I cut the 60 segments and glued them all up together into a flat board . Then when they were cut into rings to form the bowl there were five rings of 60 segments each for a total of 300 .

Cwalker935

Beautiful, great job. As an aside, I made a 60 segment for my parents in celebration of their 60th anniversary.

As far as conventional segmentation goes this one would have been a 300 segment bowl because those are done by making separate rings and stacking them on top of one another . If I had staggered the rings , that would have shown up better.
I have made another board blank similar to this one except one type of wood is a different color . If I stagger the rings on that one after I cut them out of the board it will better show what I am describing .

With this one , it is a bowl from a board and I cut the 60 segments and glued them all up together into a flat board . Then when they were cut into rings to form the bowl there were five rings of 60 segments each for a total of 300 .

My bowl had 5 rings with 12 segments per ring. This was one of my earliest bowls and I was not happy with the shape of the bottom.

image.jpg

W.Y.

My bowl had 5 rings with 12 segments per ring. This was one of my earliest bowls and I was not happy with the shape of the bottom.

View attachment 127716

That is a very nice bowl . Thanks for showing it . The shape of the bottom looks just fine to me.

I did a bunch like that making one ring at a time about 5 years ago . Would probably still be doing it that way except for the fact that I could not get enough for them at craft sales in my area to justify the extra time involved in making them .
The bowl from a board type like I am doing sell very easily at a much lower price . I have sold well over 300 of them since getting my RM and they take about 1/4 of the time to make .

W.Y.

Could you show the various steps in your bowl? I am not following your process.

I did a complete tutorial this morning on that one in my Woodworking Friends site on my Turning Tutorials board . It has 16 pictures with commentary between each one . Would be too time consuming to copy the whole thing here and I refrain from posting links to my site or any other woodworking site because it is against the rules in most sites including my own unless pre-approved by the administrator.

Top Bottom