3 hours to make... 1 careless second to break

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

I was reading a thread on what to use between segments- CA or Epoxy. I really wanted to try something. Being 102 degrees outside... Well, it didn't stop me.

I had asked an old friend if he preferred a click or twist pen (hoping he would go for a twist since I had more kits)! He said click of course. Most times he only has one hand free. He owns a restaurant and it makes sense.

So, I had two Stratus kits- one with a tube. I chose a nice buckeye burl chunk. As I was placing the tube in the CA bonded and 1/3 of the tube was sticking out. I move quickly during this process... but I'm sure the heat had something too do with it as well.

That's when I thought about the thread and decided to make the pen segmented. Lemons into lemonade.

Needless to say... next time I use metal to wood I will try epoxy. (And a cooler day) More time, less rush. Less heat, better choices.

This pen ended up cracking by the nib because I wasn't paying attention. I pressed it in crooked. It was my carelessness.
62113300172__B2E6CE7A-89D2-4E06-8B38-08B29F864BFE.JPG
Image1599480354.621777.jpg
Image1599480400.674524.jpg
Image1599480427.857427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have done the exact same things on a few occasions - both the tube glue-in issues as well as cracking the blank. I use a chamfering tool on both ends and then a metal tube cleaning brush and this helps. Also, some kits are simply too tight of a fit and I file some components for an easier fit.

However, I really like what you did with the segmenting. 👍 (My preference is epoxy for all tube glue ups).

David350

Been there more times than I care to admit. Are you planning on saving it by replacing the cracked end with another segment? It certainly looks worth saving...

Alchemist

Been there more times than I care to admit. Are you planning on saving it by replacing the cracked end with another segment? It certainly looks worth saving...

While at work I was thinking about. I could dismantle the pen and make a new segment. So, I may add one more copper ring and another piece of walnut burl

PenHog

Nice work, I like your segmenting!

About the crack: yeah, most (all?) of us have been there. This stuff happens...thanks for sharing the bad with the good.

Alchemist

Nice work, I like your segmenting!

About the crack: yeah, most (all?) of us have been there. This stuff happens...thanks for sharing the bad with the good.

Thanks and you're welcome! [emoji16] it's a really nice pen. I ordered a assembly/disassembly press. So, I'll segment the crack and make sure I'm paying attention!

Penchant 4

Nice segmenting work. Have you considered Dremeling the crack and filling it with something? Copper perhaps, to pick up the bands of the segmenting? Lemonade from lemons?

Top Bottom