22 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Welcome to the 22nd day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>.
All entries "postmarked" before noon tomorrow will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.
The winners will be announced by 10 P.M. ET tomorrow and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.
Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!
Question for day 22.....

Built in 1931, what American hotel used a half-acre of rare Brazilian rosewood trees for paneling throughout its main lobby and mezzanine?

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

(Note: Good luck!!)

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 22 Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.)

DocStram

Originally posted by Randy_

Fresh meat, folks!!!:D:D

OK ... Pile on!! I think everyone should know that Randy and Bruce wrote every single one of the trivia questions that I will be presenting! Thanks for your help, Randy and Bruce!;)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Go easy on the man. It's his first day.

ARE YOU KIDDING?????

Do you know how many times this "make-believe doctor" has harassed ME? NOW he wants to be a trivia meister and starts with information about a HOTEL?????

Better Question, "They are tearing down a hotel in town, that is mostly Cement construction. HOW MANY PENS can you make from the mahogany in their reception area???"

Oh, boy, I gotta do some research today -we'll see if I can't find alternative questions to ASSIST "DOC" (as in "what's up, doc??")

IPD_Mrs

I have to agree, go easy. If you give him too much of a hard way to go he just might watch some Rosie Odonell and re-invent himself again. Or worse yet he might start reading Karl and re-invent himself.[:0]

Just remember what your Momma always said, "Respect your elders".

Mike

THarvey

I think my answer is correct. I was there about two years ago.

Beautiful place.

BTW: One reference I found says 1/2 acre, another says 1 acre. I wonder which is actually correct. ;)

Now for the real question: How many pens can be made from an half acre of rosewood? [:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
While this follows the "h then vowel" rule of "an", should it be A half acre (which sounds right to me) or AN half acre?

Which is correct and why???

Maybe "Doc" would like to weigh in, BEFORE Cav presents the authoritative answer!!!

melogic

Originally posted by ed4copies

While this follows the "h then vowel" rule of "an", should it be A half acre (which sounds right to me) or AN half acre?

Maybe "Doc" would like to weigh in, BEFORE Cav presents the authoritative answer!!!

Ed,
Is this another trivia question. Maybe Day 22(A) or something? (hehehe) :D[^]

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It's 'an' half acre, as the 'h' sound is too soft (almost a silent-h), and therefore must be considered to be like a vowel...You always use 'an' before a word starting with h-vowel

However, most of us do not speak properly all the time...many proper pronunciations and grammatical laws look silly, because they are not followed by the population, and may eventually get dropped.

What I find odd is that we use 'an' before words like 'apple' and 'orange', but when the vowel sound makes a 'y' sound (unicorn, user), we use 'a'...

If this were Latin, there would be one rule and it would apply all the time. Those Romans were disciplined! English is just plainly tricky!

Oh, and that brings up another English grammer issue that drives me crazy! That's real nice. :( It should be 'that's really nice'....I don't know why, but that drives me crazy!!

See, you should never give an English teacher a window like that, Ed!! :D

Originally posted by THarvey

Now for the real question: How many pens can be made from an half acre of rosewood? [:p]

Tim, I really wish you hadn't asked that. Now, you've gone and opened up a can of worms, the likes of which we may never recover from. The reason being is that, first, we have to convert the half-acre of Brazilian Rosewood to board feet. If you paid attention to the discussion that ensued from trivia question 10, that calculation depends on whether the wood has been surfaced on all sides and whether it is thicker or thinner than an inch. This is due to regional variations in the manner board feet are calculated. For instance, they calculate it differently in Indiana than they do in Florida, apparently.

Now, we all know from Ed's "Location" thread that Indiana and Florida are "states", and this may have something to do with the confusion. If they were like Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and good old Virginia, which are Commonwealths, then we wouldn't have this problem, because Commonwealths seem to be able to get it right and calculate board feet the way God intended board feet to be calculated, which is the correct way.

Having said that, the answer to your question is - eight.

THarvey

I don't know. I was an Accounting major, not English.

(Thanks Andrew! I feel better now.):D

THarvey

Originally posted by THarvey

Tim, I really wish you hadn't asked that. Now, you've gone and opened up a can of worms, the likes of which we may never recover from. The reason being is that, first, we have to convert the half-acre of Brazilian Rosewood to board feet. If you paid attention to the discussion that ensued from trivia question 10, that calculation depends on whether the wood has been surfaced on all sides and whether it is thicker or thinner than an inch. This is due to regional variations in the manner board feet are calculated. For instance, they calculate it differently in Indiana than they do in Florida, apparently.

Now, we all know from Ed's "Location" thread that Indiana and Florida are "states", and this may have something to do with the confusion. If they were like Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and good old Virginia, which are Commonwealths, then we wouldn't have this problem, because Commonwealths seem to be able to get it right and calculate board feet the way God intended board feet to be calculated, which is the correct way.

That's the fun of the game, my friend. :D If you look back, you will see that Ed and I started the discourse on that question.

BTW: Ed, I was right!</u> But, being the humble person that I am, I won't rub it in. [^]

Randy_

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

.....Oh, and that brings up another English grammer issue that drives me crazy! That's real nice. :( It should be 'that's really nice'....I don't know why, but that drives me crazy!!

Does that drive you really crazy??[}:)]

wood-of-1kind

About time that we finally got a true trivia master that is worthy of this forum. All hail to the all-wise DOCSTRAM. So Doc, do win? Do I? Do I? What you require more grovelling? OK, OK I'll try harder;)

Good luck with the beast.

-Peter-:)

GaryMGg

Not having been an English major -- my HS English teacher was very happy to have me skip her class -- I say 'a half acre'. Why not write it that way.
NB: I just peeked, these guys http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html say an unsounded H gets an -- unsounded as in honor. Half isn't unsounded, it's not "an aff acre, mate." [:p]:D:D

Now, as to Michael's story -- who, by the way (taking a very Karlish sidebar here), is fast coming on as one of the more astute tongue-in-cheek posters herein. Take note; I predict he will become a spelling-police, grammar-fixin' post monger whose articulation of the subject matter will bring illiterates to their knees begging for mercy and forgiveness -- regarding the appropriate quantity of blanks based on board footage from said raw material.
It seems what we have here is a failure to communicate.
Everyone knows reclaimed Brazilian rosewood paneling can't be calculated in board feet. Nail holes and resurfacing to remove glue and molded surfaces will require this material to be laminated, segmented, or heaven forbid, recast as worthless wood.
How many blanks can be obtained is therefore limited only by your imagination. :D

DocStram

Neither "AN Half Acre" nor "A Half Acre" will be considered as correct answers.:D:D

So far, according to my Kindness Factor, only two of your names are going into my hat for the drawing ... Proud_Poppa_of_2 and Wood-of-1kind. ;);)

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Now, as to Michael's story -- Take note; I predict he will become a spelling-police, grammar-fixin' post monger whose articulation of the subject matter will bring illiterates to their knees begging for mercy and forgiveness . . .

Naw, I'm not gonna do that. Shortly after Al Gore invented the Internet, I was party to a flamefest that devolved into the participants criticizing each other's spelling, grammar and word usage. Sure enough, as soon as I pointed out another's misstep, I made one myself, whether by mistake or ignorance I can't recall.

Recently, I was filling in for Cav while he was filling teeth and took Doc to task for something. Then, Doc and I went offline and, sure enough, I sent Doc an email containing a verb in the wrong tense. Doc caught it and replied with a zinger. Lesson relearned.

I'm not sure how many times I have to relearn my lessons, but I hope I don't have to relearn this particular lesson again. As far as grammar, spelling and word usage are concerned on the IAP forums (or fora, right Andrew?), I think posters are safe from my blue pencil.

Jarheaded

I feel that this question is unfair to those of us that were forced to stay in tents when we traveled. I had canvas walls and now you tell me that someone wasted a half an acre of rosewood in an entry way. I really need to talk to these people about the advantage of canvas. Are these the same people that shot all the Elephants so they could have some ivory? I know who these people are and would like to go and take their entry way apart and make pens out of it and not give them any. That would teach them. Can we start a bail fund? Free rosewood to anyone that participates.

Hey Doc, I have a rash that you need to look at for me if you would. I will try and post a picture of it if you want.
Thanks for letting me rant,
Johnnie

TBone

Michael, doesn't it depend on whether your supplier will sell wood less than 1" thick and then whether he will charge you accordingly. What happens if it's 15/16" and then it rains and it swells to just over 1", do we have more board feet and is our bill more?? Or is that only in states that have 2 names and not in Commonwealths??[}:)]:D

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007
If this were Latin, there would be one rule and it would apply all the time. Those Romans were disciplined! English is just plainly tricky!

There's the understatement of the year!

Draken

I must say, I'm duly impressed, we have a new trivia question, and it was posted well before Noon! :D Interesting question too, hope my answer is correct... [8)]

DocStram

Originally posted by Draken

I must say, I'm duly impressed, we have a new trivia question, and it was posted well before Noon! :D Interesting question too, hope my answer is correct... [8)]

That's the way to treat your TriviaMeister! Another potential winner!! ;):D:D

THarvey

Originally posted by DocStram

Originally posted by Draken

That's the way to treat your TriviaMeister! Another potential winner!! ;):D:D

You are beginning to sound more like DIVAStram, than DocStram. [}:)]:D

Oops! I think I just landed permanent residency in the IAP Losers Club.[B)]

It is nice to have interesting trivia questions so early in the day. Thanks Doc.

Chasper

Not having been an English major -- my HS English teacher was very happy to have me skip her class -- I say 'a half acre'. Why not write it that way.
NB: I just peeked, these guys http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html say an unsounded H gets an -- unsounded as in honor. Half isn't unsounded, it's not "an aff acre, mate."

Having been an English major and a failed English teacher many, many years before I was a failing pen turner, let me add this to the discussion of using "an" before a silent h; No kidding, I didn't realize that? So its "a" hose, but "an" herb? That sounds right.

DozerMite

Banned
Having been an English major and a failed English teacher many, many years before I was a failing pen turner, let me add this to the discussion of using "an" before a silent h; No kidding, I didn't realize that? So its "a" hose, but "an" herb? That sounds right.

Could the "herb" have played a role in the teaching failure?[:p];)

IPD_Mrs

I saw lots of guys visiting those in my military days. Funny but most of them needed to get a penicillin shot shortly after their visit![:0]

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wdcav1952

Actually, the correct way to present the question would be .....half an acre.

<center>KNEW</center>
I could count on an authoritative answer.

<center>NOT ONLY THAT,</center>
<center>
it sounds GOOD!!</center>

<center>KNEW</center>

<center>

I think it avoids the question. Is it "a half an acre" or "an half an acre"?

VisExp

Originally posted by DozerMite

Could the "herb" have played a role in the teaching failure?[:p];)

Yes, but it is "a herb" or "an herb". On the east side of the Atlantic the "h" in herb is pronounced, but it would appear that on this side of the pond the "h" in herb is silent.

Drives me real crazy [}:)]:D[}:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

<center>KNEW</center>

<center>

I think it avoids the question. Is it "a half an acre" or "an half an acre"?

Sarcasm might inhibit me. [:I]

DocStram

Dear Grammar Critics ....
I taught an evening class earlier today. There were undergraduate English Majors in the class. I polled the group on "a half acre" or "an half acre". After careful deliberation, and knowing that I'm the one holding the grade book ... they concurred. It's "a half acre". [}:)][}:)];)

Top Bottom