22 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

It's 'an' half acre, as the 'h' sound is too soft (almost a silent-h), and therefore must be considered to be like a vowel...You always use 'an' before a word starting with h-vowel

However, most of us do not speak properly all the time...many proper pronunciations and grammatical laws look silly, because they are not followed by the population, and may eventually get dropped.

What I find odd is that we use 'an' before words like 'apple' and 'orange', but when the vowel sound makes a 'y' sound (unicorn, user), we use 'a'...

If this were Latin, there would be one rule and it would apply all the time. Those Romans were disciplined! English is just plainly tricky!

Oh, and that brings up another English grammer issue that drives me crazy! That's real nice. :( It should be 'that's really nice'....I don't know why, but that drives me crazy!!

See, you should never give an English teacher a window like that, Ed!! :D

We could all compromise and make it: a half an acre. [}:)]

[:X] Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Originally posted by THarvey

Now for the real question: How many pens can be made from an half acre of rosewood? [:p]

Tim, I really wish you hadn't asked that. Now, you've gone and opened up a can of worms, the likes of which we may never recover from. The reason being is that, first, we have to convert the half-acre of Brazilian Rosewood to board feet. If you paid attention to the discussion that ensued from trivia question 10, that calculation depends on whether the wood has been surfaced on all sides and whether it is thicker or thinner than an inch. This is due to regional variations in the manner board feet are calculated. For instance, they calculate it differently in Indiana than they do in Florida, apparently.

Now, we all know from Ed's "Location" thread that Indiana and Florida are "states", and this may have something to do with the confusion. If they were like Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and good old Virginia, which are Commonwealths, then we wouldn't have this problem, because Commonwealths seem to be able to get it right and calculate board feet the way God intended board feet to be calculated, which is the correct way.

Having said that, the answer to your question is - eight.

However they apparently never taught those in the commonwealths to count past the number of fingers on their two hands combined.

[:X] Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Now, as to Michael's story -- Take note; I predict he will become a spelling-police, grammar-fixin' post monger whose articulation of the subject matter will bring illiterates to their knees begging for mercy and forgiveness . . .

Naw, I'm not gonna do that. Shortly after Al Gore invented the Internet, I was party to a flamefest that devolved into the participants criticizing each other's spelling, grammar and word usage. Sure enough, as soon as I pointed out another's misstep, I made one myself, whether by mistake or ignorance I can't recall.

Recently, I was filling in for Cav while he was filling teeth and took Doc to task for something. Then, Doc and I went offline and, sure enough, I sent Doc an email containing a verb in the wrong tense. Doc caught it and replied with a zinger. Lesson relearned.

I'm not sure how many times I have to relearn my lessons, but I hope I don't have to relearn this particular lesson again. As far as grammar, spelling and word usage are concerned on the IAP forums (or fora, right Andrew?), I think posters are safe from my blue pencil.

Did you also throw away your red pen?????[}:)]

[:X]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ed4copies

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Actually, the correct way to present the question would be .....half an acre.

<center>KNEW</center>
I could count on an authoritative answer.

<center>NOT ONLY THAT,</center>
<center>
it sounds GOOD!!</center>

woo hoo I was right. Does that get me in the hat Doc???????....

Back to reading the rest of the thread.

[:X]

Woodlvr

Lets drop the GRAMMAR issue![8D] What are the dimensions of the blanks so that I can finish the math???? :D[:p][}:)];)[:eek:)]

Mike

THarvey

Originally posted by DocStram

Dear Grammar Critics ....
I taught an evening class earlier today. There were undergraduate English Majors in the class. I polled the group on "a half acre" or "an half acre". After careful deliberation, and knowing that I'm the one holding the grade book ... they concurred. It's "a half acre". [}:)][}:)];)

Hey Doc, I'm curious. What do you teach? (No scarcasm intended. It is an actual question.)

THarvey

Originally posted by DocStram

I'm in Teacher Education - Special Education (Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorders, Behavioral Disorders).

I asked a serious question. The answer came with its own punch line. :D

Thanks Doc. I bet the IAP forums are a good laboratory experiment for all of these. [:eek:)]

DocStram

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: Built in 1931, what American hotel used a half-acre of rare Brazilian rosewood trees for paneling throughout its main lobby and mezzanine?

Answer: Any one of these answers were considered as being correct:
The Hilton Cincinnati
The Hilton Cincinnati Netherlands Plaza
TheNetherlands Plaza

Note: There were 68 responses for this question with 66 being correct.

The winners of the day 22 contest are:

Chuck Key

and

Penworks

And the prizes are:

Prize One - Renaissance Wax 65ml donated by Craft Supplies

Prize Two - Pen Blanks from bobskio2003

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won. (Example: Jan 22 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

Jarheaded

When did the question and answer times get changed? Why wasn't I informed of this! I want to speak to a supervisor..... Just kidding, Most of the triviamonsters couldn't tell time anyways. :D

DocStram

Originally posted by Jarheaded

When did the question and answer times get changed? Why wasn't I informed of this! I want to speak to a supervisor..... Just kidding, Most of the triviamonsters couldn't tell time anyways. :D

The questions are supposed to get posted by noon (posting them earlier in the morning is more convenient for me) and the deadline for getting your answers submitted is by Noon of the next day .... that hasn't changed.
Rather than posting the winners by 10:00PM ET tonight, I had a chance to post them earlier today.
So, Mr. Jarheaded? You get to "Blank the TriviaMesiter". I'll pm my address to you! :D:D

PS If you happened to have missed the "Blank the TriviaMeister" thread, it goes like this: If anybody has a complaint about the TriviaContest ... they have to send a ton of their favorite pen blanks to the Trivia Meister! :D

Jarheaded

Okay, I missed that part of the forum. I will take whatever disaplinary action that has been predetermined. Please PM your address and I will send you an envelope(can't afford the shipping on a ton) of blanks that will be different than what you have now. These are some of my favorites and I will be honored to send them to you. :)

After rereading my post, can you please show me the errors of my ways and let me know how the post was taken as a complaint. This is just to help me learn, I will send the blanks anyways:D

Maybe I should get a few more envelopes ready.[}:)]

DocStram

Okay, I missed that part of the forum. I will take whatever disaplinary action that has been predetermined. Please PM your address and I will send you an envelope(can't afford the shipping on a ton) of blanks that will be different than what you have now. These are some of my favorites and I will be honored to send them to you. :)

After rereading my post, can you please show me the errors of my ways and let me know how the post was taken as a complaint. This is just to help me learn, I will send the blanks anyways:D

Maybe I should get a few more envelopes ready.[}:)]

Dear Mr. Jarheaded,
After consultation with my legal counsel, we have concurred that you have committed a serious infraction related to Trivia Contest Etiquette. Apparently, your flagrant use of the term "triviamonsters" qualifies you for admission to the Blank the TriviaMeister Program. However, being a forgiving kind of person, I have decided to pardon your infraction. Besides, it's the the Birthday Bash month .. how could I ever take a penmaker's favorite blanks? It's just not my style!

Most importantly, with a name like Jarheaded .... I'm afraid we might meet in person some day ... and, I'm a pacifist. ;)

Gruntster

I shoulda won!!! Or at least, honorable mention since this very morning I walked across the street from the Hyatt regency where we stayed (took the Mrs to see 'Wicked' as part of her Christmas) and checked out the lobby in the Hilton. I did take a couple of pictures, but haven't gottem them off the camera.
I will say that this lobby has a tremendous ambience to it. Definitely an older hotel with worn marble and such, and yup, there is rosewood everywhere. Very nice.

Top Bottom