2011 Holiday PITH Pairings Announcement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhprice

PITH from Mr Vic

When I got home last night there was a package waiting for me from Mr Vic. I opened it up and it was full of blanks and a beautiful Apricot pen in copper. The blanks included one Chihilla Catus blank that will be lots of fun.

The pen is outstanding. The choice of copper matches very well with the color of the apricot. I love it.

I hope that the photos work fairley well. Took them with my new iPhone.

Attachments

• Pith1.JPG
    Pith1.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Pith2.jpg
    Pith2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Pith3.JPG
    Pith3.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

PITH from bradbn4

Finally got around to taking some photos of the fantastic PITH I received from bradbn4 earlier this week. It is a fantastic Phoenix pen (a kit I've been meaning to pick up and try out) dressed up in natural stabilized Box Elder Burl with a nice earthy warm feel. The pen looks and feels fantastic, and I'm certainly going to have to look into this kit some more... Along with it came a nice selection of blanks, many of which I have not had the chance to turn, and a couple I've turned but not had a full on success with as of yet (corn cob... guess I get a 3rd shot at that one!!!) The pen came in a nice leather holder also, which I forgot to bring with me, so it did not make the photos...

It's now going to find it's spot on my desk next to my other PITHs that get used on a regular basis!!!

On with the PICS!!!

2011-12%20PITH%209523%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209524%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209527%20%28sm%29.jpg

toddlajoie

Teaser for Brian in Burlington

Finally finished up my PITH, hope to get it shipped out tomorrow, but I wanted to drop in a couple of teaser photos, just to make things interesting...

2011-12%20PITH%209512%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209516%20%28sm%29.jpg

:wink:

ohiococonut

I got my pen from hewunch (Hans) yesterday. It came with some blanks as well :) Unfortunately I don't have any pics or a decent way of taking any. To say it's unique is an understatement, I like it!

Hopefully he'll post pics and describe it a little since it does have somewhat of a story to tell.

Since this was my first pith I'm really looking forward to participating in future ones.

Drstrangefart

Got it done! I was on pins and needles waiting for the one I made to get to Australia, and it made it. Then I received one in the mail. All in all, it was fun, also my first one. I plan on doing the next one, too.

bradbn4

Finally got around to taking some photos of the fantastic PITH I received from bradbn4 earlier this week. It is a fantastic Phoenix pen (a kit I've been meaning to pick up and try out) dressed up in natural stabilized Box Elder Burl with a nice earthy warm feel. The pen looks and feels fantastic, and I'm certainly going to have to look into this kit some more... Along with it came a nice selection of blanks, many of which I have not had the chance to turn, and a couple I've turned but not had a full on success with as of yet (corn cob... guess I get a 3rd shot at that one!!!) The pen came in a nice leather holder also, which I forgot to bring with me, so it did not make the photos...

It's now going to find it's spot on my desk next to my other PITHs that get used on a regular basis!!!

On with the PICS!!!

2011-12%20PITH%209524%20%28sm%29.jpg

I am happy you liked the pen. I signed up for the PITH trade off because I had not made any pens over the last year.

If I remember the wood type - Olive wood, Zebra wood, and the last pen blank might be desert iron wood.

I found the pen kit to be good quality - however; I also found it hard to find a shape I truly liked. I ended up making about 4 different pens for the PITH based on the free blanks I included. The one that got shipped had the best finish using Enduro poly with a wax overcoat.

I selected chrome for the finish type because of durability. Now if I could get a Phoenix pen in TN gold / black - I would have been thrilled.

bmac

PITH from truckfixr

Finally getting around to posting my PITH from truckfixr. He really out did his self. He did some research and found that the community that I live in is refered to as Live Oak and the school colors are blue and yellow. So the pen is made with live oak wood with a blue and yellow acrylic inlay. Outstanding pen!!!!!! And then he included an assortment of pen blanks, wood and his own acrylic blanks. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, they don't do the pen justice.

Thanks ever so much for an excellent pen and pen blanks.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0057.jpg
    DSCN0057.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0058.jpg
    DSCN0058.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0060.jpg
    DSCN0060.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

toddlajoie

PITH Finally delivered

I got a message that Brian in Burlington finally got the PITH I sent him. Lateness is nobody's fault but my own, as I had forgotten he was in Canada and it would take a few more days to get over the border, and it was down to the wire getting it out as it was.

So he asked if I could post the photos I took before I sent it and here they are. The pen set is a pair of closed end Barons.

The rollerball is made with Wenge which has been bleached, leaving a nice white/brown pattern, very similar to some of the laminated blanks, but I love that it's done without glue. It is one of my favorite looking woods in the end.

The fountain pen is made with Black Palm which has also been bleached to lighten the soft areas. There have been several threads lately about how to turn palm, with most suggesting using lots of CA to stabilize while turning, but in order to let the bleach work, you can't do that, so this was turned completely natural, and I will not likely be doing another closed end palm any time soon (at least not unstabilized!!!)

The block stand is made from a block of maple from a tree we cut down when we put a garage on our house. I had cut it up for firewood, but since we don't burn much, it has just been sitting out back spalting away. It was an idea I had in my head for a while and decided to give it a shot for the PITH. I have to say it came out pretty neat, but in the end, I think the angles for the 2 pens need to be tweaked a bit. It's probably a personal preference and "love it or hate it" sort of thing, but I feel they are angled out a bit too much for my taste. It's also probably a bit too tall.

Enough talk, show some pics!!!

2011-12%20PITH%209505%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209507%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209508%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209510%20%28sm%29.jpg

2011-12%20PITH%209511%20%28sm%29.jpg

vallealbert

Well, as I can see to this day, another year with no PITH pen... YES, the second time I participate in a PITH and the second time with no pen...I can not believed it!!! Sorry, no more PITH to me. Sorry if this post offend somebody, but I have no intentions to send PM to anybody.

Respectfully submitted,

Alexander

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well, as I can see to this day, another year with no PITH pen... YES, the second time I participate in a PITH and the second time with no pen...I can not believed it!!! Sorry, no more PITH to me. Sorry if this post offend somebody, but I have no intentions to send PM to anybody.

Respectfully submitted,

Alexander
Hey man, there were many posts asking for status updates, maybe you missed them but you were not on any of them I saw. It does stink but PM me any details you have and give me a chance. You are not alone and we are working hard to get everyone a pen. Please include your current shipping address in the PM and I will ensure you receive a pen.

Landon

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here is a good example of why communication is so important. An Activity Coordinator (in this case Landon) or I should be notified quickly if an activity participant either looses contact with a partner or does not receive something that is expected. Anyone who goes a week without being able to contact their partner needs to let us know. Anyone who doesn't have an expected item (in this case a PITH pen) by the closing date of the PITH needs to let us know. We want to make everything right but the more time that passes the harder that is to do.

We always have a pool of very generous members who are ready and willing to step up and provide a pen to those who don't receive one. We only need to know who those people are.

People who fail to follow through with their IAP Activity obligations will be banned from future IAP Activities. But again, we need to know who they are.

Please! Keep us informed of these things in a timely fashion.

Thanks,
Mike

coffenup

Respectfully submitted,

Alexander
Hunter-27 If you send me a pm & I will send a pen to vallealbert can't have them miss out
Regards Michael

juteck

My PITH pencil arrived today! All I can say is WOW!!!! Dick ("mapletree") did a great job putting this "coat of many colors" together.

Dick ran into delays early on in this process, but kept me informed of his schedule all along. He still wanted to make a pen for this PITH, and I was in no rush to receive one from him, so it all worked out for both of us.

Thanks Dick - what a great pencil! It will be used!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-1257523863.jpg
    image-1257523863.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 130

Brooks803

I just wanted to let the powers that be that I got my pen from Kevin Little Aka Leviblue while I was in the hospital. It's beautiful and unless he has some pics ready to post I'll take some once I'm up and mobile enough to do so myself. So it might be a while, unless I take some semi-decent cell phone ones. But I do have my pen and it is very cool!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I just wanted to let the powers that be that I got my pen from Kevin Little Aka Leviblue while I was in the hospital. It's beautiful and unless he has some pics ready to post I'll take some once I'm up and mobile enough to do so myself. So it might be a while, unless I take some semi-decent cell phone ones. But I do have my pen and it is very cool!
Better Late than not at all. :bulgy-eyes::wink:

LarryDNJR

Wow that is WAY later than the one I sent to him. :) Glad you got it!
I never received mine from lilliopus from this pairing. Oh well.

Larry

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Jonathons pen was for the Challenge Swap - Not the Holiday Swap

I kept in touch with Jonathon about the pen. Due to the delays with me being out with my back and not able to stand for long periods of time and my company going through a very rough integration the delay was out of my control.
Life throws us curves every once and a while. I've kept in touch with my swap partner for this one as well and he's running behind with work issues as well.
I'm looking forward to receiving the pen soon.

Haynie

Good god, another one with back issues!? You would think with all these folks, myself included with back issues the manufacturer would redesign and eliminate these design flaws.:laugh:

Top Bottom