1812 Large cent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

talk about old.......$ 65 for a cent, imagine cutting this out!

2012-02-07 11.50.51.jpg

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Seamus,

I have collect coins for many years. That large cent is a lot thicker than the coins you have been cutting. How much will you have to thin the coin to make the pen blank?

You could just about resaw the coin, then scroll both sides.

BTW: $65 is too much for that penny. If you really want one, let me do some searching.

Last edited:

PSU1980

Seamus,

I am also a coin collector and have items like the large cent. If I have something that you are looking for I am open to a trade.......maybe a quarter blank??? Let me know if you are interested.

Tim

seamus7227

Seamus,

I have collect coins for many years. That large cent is a lot thicker than the coins you have been cutting. How much will you have to thin the coin to make the pen blank?

BTW: $65 is too much for that penny. If you really want one, let me do some searching.

Seamus,

I am also a coin collector and have items like the large cent. If I have something that you are looking for I am open to a trade.......maybe a quarter blank??? Let me know if you are interested.

Tim

as big as those coins are and as bad a shape as that one is, one side is good enough. But if i were to get my hands on one that was in excellent condition, then yes i would want to try and use both sides.

Tim, it would have to be 1812, working on a project. will keep you in mind!

THarvey

Seamus,

Seamus,

Tim

as big as those coins are and as bad a shape as that one is, one side is good enough. But if i were to get my hands on one that was in excellent condition, then yes i would want to try and use both sides.

Tim, it would have to be 1812, working on a project. will keep you in mind!

Not sure to which Tim you were speaking, since both of us are Tim.

The 1812 Large Cent is one of the more expensive large cents, because the numbers in circulation were much lower. Still, I $65 is a bit high for the coin you showed, in my opinion.

I will check my coins this evening. If I have an 1812, we may be able to work a trade.

seamus7227

LOL, i was talking to both of you, no big rush, im just toying with an idea for a project. some things may just be out of my range, but i thought how cool would it be to destroy a 200 year old coin for a pen?!~ I think i may be going a little crazy:bulgy-eyes:

gbpens

Seamus, large cents saw wide circulation and consequently much wear. Have you considered other bust type coins such as quarters or even half dollars? They will have much less wear. 1812 was a lower minatage year due to war and economic condtions thus the high price for a coin of lower quality. While it has a full liberty it is very pitted.

seamus7227

Yeah i was actually looking for any coins with that date and it happened to be the first one to show up. But again, price is an issue, I'm not gonna spend much over $40 for a coin that im gonna cut up unless i have a buyer for the pen.

Top Bottom