12 inch sphere and

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

...5 more to make. I am making these for a local cabinet shop who could not find a source for them. He purchased me a Carter Perfect Sphere jig and i will keep it when the balls are complete. Started with a blank 13 x 18 made from 2 inch oak boards.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 12 inch sphere 1112443_10153662788302905_8278601960994422608_n.jpg
    12 inch sphere 1112443_10153662788302905_8278601960994422608_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 12 inch spshere 3.jpg
    12 inch spshere 3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 12 inch ball.jpg
    12 inch ball.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Most of the turning was done freehand and the jig was used to remove the last 1/4 inch or less in small steps. Get to keep the $350 tool. Sorry if I mislead.

I was just having fun with you Don. You didn't indicate a thing about technique one way or the other.

That is an expensive tool! Carter makes good stuff though. I'm nit sure I'll ever make enough spheres to buy one. But nice to have it when you do.

stonepecker

In the second picture it appears to me that you have matched the 'grain' perfectly.
HOW did you do that? Or am I just seeing something that isn't there?

Beautiful work. How do they plan to use and finish them? ......If I may ask.

its_virgil

The tool is expensive but I didn't purchase it...the cabinet shop paid for the jig. I suggested I would turn them if they furnished the glued up blanks and bought the jig for me. I worked on the sphere off and on yesterday...maybe 3 hours total or maybe a little longer. Once I got the Perfect sphere jig tuned in and working it was quite nice. I stopped the initial cylinder at 12.35 inches then started the sphere. On the other five I will turn the cylinder to 12" then start on the sphere.

These balls will be used as part of the mill work at the front of our new chapel at the church I attend. The cabinet shop owner also attends there. They will be 40 ft in the air to top off some columns. Had they not been for my church I would be charging in addition to the tool and blank costs.

The grain match: I did not glue the blank but what is shown in that second picture is the side grain of either the top or bottom board in the blank. Look at the first picture. It was just how the blank stopped on the lathe. I grabbed my phone and snapped a picture. They will be stained a very dark...almost ebony..color. Disappointing to see all of the nice oak mill work going so dark and loosing its beauty.

The dry oak is very hard. Oh how I love turning green wood.

Hollowing a sphere in floating around in the emptiness of my head.

Thanks for the comments. I will show all 6 of them once finished.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom