First thing turned other than a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jayman72

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I would like to try that. Very nice. I am not into bowls, but I like small "boxes". Well done and thanks for the inspiration!

Charlie_W

It's been 18 months and 3 lathes later...no desire. :)

Tony, Tony,....There is a whole different realm of turning out there.
Unique things to be turned, green wood turning, methods of holding and chucking, creative turning, and best of all.....
..more new tools!:biggrin:

low_48

I really appreciate your creative effort, but caution you about the nature of wood. Cross grain construction is never done in furniture making. Wood moves across the grain, not in the length. Combining solid and laminated rings may result in cracking or glue creep at the seams.

MikeL

This is outstanding work and very creative design. Thanks for showing it. I'm slowly getting into boxes, bowls, hollow forms, but am practicing on finials for the lids first.

TurtleTom

Low 48 is correct is his description of the forces at work when we glue. I have noted that with smaller pieces that I've made like yours, it just doesn't happen. The mass is just not there for the forces to work on. I'm sure there are exceptions as many woods have very different expansion coefficients that I'm not aware of that could complicate things.
So keep all this in the back of your head and when one splits, you go "Well, it does happen after all."

Top Bottom