Votes: 42 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
There has been some discussion about signatures that are too loud, too big, full of links, and serving no purpose except hawking products. I'm considering addressing that with some tightened rules. The current signature guidelines are at the bottom of the AUP.

Let's have your vote!

This is a multiple choice poll. If you select option 1, please don't mark anything else.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xxShadowxx

sigs are fine, just leave options in profile to 1) disable pics 2) disable links 3) disable full sig, easy fix and keeps the kids happy

Russianwolf

Not enough options.

Thinking about it, the only thing I want to know from people here is

1: name (so I don't have to look in order to respond directly)
2: location (nice pice of info to know)

I've changed mine to that info and I'm turning off everyones in my CP.

Haynie

Leave it alone. Too many changes, too many grumpy people. Maybe the squeakiest wheels need to learn how to use their options and turn the signatures off. If they can't figure this out maybe they need to have the signatures turned off for them. They will think they have gotten their way and the rest of us will be fine. Some of us use those signature links.

We have no banners here. We have no corporate "ads by google" flashing up. No "Sponsor" Ads. For crying out loud, do folks have nothing better to do than squeak?

76winger

I think the current rules are not that far off, and as Haynie above me says:

We have no banners here. We have no corporate "ads by google" flashing up. No "Sponsor" Ads. For crying out loud, do folks have nothing better to do than squeak?

I think this is a big plus for the I.A.P. site overall. A couple of links to other means of communicating with that member or to see a related site they have set up relating to their penmaking is all beneficial to creating connections and building relationships with those other people. For example: I wouldn't have started expanding my purchases beyond PSI had I not utilized SIG line links from other members to their websites.

Images, I see a little less as a method of connecting with others and more in line with advertising. So I could understand a reduction in size on those, maybe limiting them to about two avatars connected side by side. This way they'd feel more like a logo and less like an advertisement. I'm not opposed to them myself, but I can see how some might appear "over the top" to others.

Last edited:

Monolith

You might consider adding nofollow tags to sig links, as that by itself might minimize the number of links folks add.

ctubbs

First off, Jeff, thank you for doing so much work making the effort to make everyone happy. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. You have set yourself an impossible goal.
I use the sigs to learn much info about the poster and what they think / do. I believe that they are under good control as they are currently.
There is absolutely no way that I would be ion your shoes with a site similar to this. You are doing a great job providing this wonderful site for our use. No matter what you do, there will always be someone whining at you about something. You have provided us with the option of turning off any sigs we do not wish to view and many other controls for our use. Possibly when the tool is available, a short note to the whiner about how to make the adjustment would be of help, or maybe not.
Once again, a big thank you to you and all your Mods for the tireless and thankless job you do. Just my $0.02 today.
Charles

flyitfast

+1 for Dave's and Haynie's comments.
I too have greatly expanded my resources due to new links and signature offerings.. As long as they are IAP member links, they deserve supporting.
Size and quantity per post maybe needs limits, but this site is for learning and I learn from signature contents - from "philosophy" to resources.
gordon

OKLAHOMAN

Of course as a Vendor my opinion might be a little bias, but here goes
1-Do away with logos
2-Limit to two links (one for their retail site and one for their Vendor web site)
3-Limit the letter size
4-no color but can use bold black
5-must have name and city in signature.

This will give all the same advantage or disadvantage:rolleyes: to all, anyone that uses the signature lines to find and look at sites will have them and after a very short time we all will get used to a nice sedate signature line that gives all the info needed.
Oh kinda like my new signature line:biggrin:

steeler fan1

I think some adjustments to size would be helpful. Like others, I often use links in the sig area when looking for ideas or products. The part I don't like is when the link and sig overpowers the message.

Carl

76winger

I've see a couple responses mention putting location in the SIG line. That seems redundant to me since I see everyone's location under their avatar.

DozerMite

Banned
And maybe there should be a limit on how many pics can be posted, especially in one post. Then how about limiting the length of a post to 25 words. Seems some posts are the length of a short story. If this keeps going... this site will die. I've seen it happen to others. There is no such thing as too big to fail.

Just my opinion... it was asked for.:wink:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
While I don't really like signatures screaming at me, I do find it a convenient way to peek at a vendors web site on occasion. The rest of the info and quotes I usually ignore so the smaller, less bold, less color, less blinking, etc the better for me.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If there's a boundary, someone will push it.
I have no problem with logos, people take pride in what they do.
I have no problem with links. People have been using links in sig's
since people first figured out how to do it. But people should do so
responsibly. I don't think telling people to turn off signatures altogether
is the answer to sig's that violate the rules. Why should they lose the
ability to see everyone else's sigs if only a few are over the top?
That would be like telling someone that if they don't like seeing the
the trash in the neighbor's front yard, they should poke out their eyeballs.

Signature lines are a short "Here's what I'm up to, right now" kind of
message. Could be about their life, their business, their sense of humor
their family .. but like anything else, it can be abused.

DocStram

We have a local TV station that relentlessly turns up the volume on their commercials. You'll be watching a TV show at a nice, reasonable volume . . . but when the commercials come on, the volume rocks you out of your seat. I see the same thing happening with SOME signatures. I'll be reading a thread and then all of a sudden there appears this over bearing signature that is larger and longer than the message in the post.

Some signature lines are like reading "War and Peace" . . . . others remind me of used car commercials with the salesman pounding the hood of cars, screaming "Buy Me!"

I'd just like to see some moderation in the ads. And, of course, I hope to continue my highly profitable, "Rent This Signature Space" campaign.

jasontg99

I say leave them as they are. I am already enjoying this site less and less due to the constant bickering. I use people's links to look at the cool stuff they are making or selling. I used to love going to the classifieds and looking for new stuff to buy (much to my wife's dismay). There is nothing wrong with the commercialization of this site. I actually found this while I was looking for a rare wood. Because of this site I have been introduced to so many new ideas and materials. Some complain about the commercialization, but they fail to realize that all the new shiny toys, kits and tools are a direct result of how popular penturning has become.

Akula

On sites I do, if someone wants to advertise their products then they can apply to be a sponsor. FWIW, just because someone has the money to be a sponsor, don't automatically mean they will be a sponsor. Some times dealing with their reputations and lawyers just takes all the fun out of it.
Here the classifieds cost to post. We don't charge for classifieds. I know and understand the difference in the sites. Here we are mostly talking pens, kits supplies ect. so it's a target audience. That's a good thing. I deal with land, vehicles, boats and just about everything in between.

I think here in time it will be very few that pay the premium when they can get the same results from just all the links in their sig line.

I still consider myself one of the new guys here. Only been around a few years and I keep quiet majority of the time. But I have been dealing with websites for 15+ years.

Thanks for a wonderful site. I do enjoy reading and looking. I have no dog in this fight. I do wonder from today's message in my thread. Curtis said he gets a lot of pms everyday from this site. Why? Are some members needing their hands held all the time? Are there some who are problems? If Curtis is getting them, are the rest of the Moderators getting them as well? Seems to be that is pushing a lot of work on people that might not be required. Sometimes you just got to say no. People will burn out. You will lose good people in the process. When people focus on themselves and making money it will suck all the joy out of everything for others. Save the drama for day time TV.

DocStram, TV stations are not allowed to turn up the volume for commercials. They are regulated. It just seems louder because they play the whole commercial at the highest peak volume allowed by law...movies save the high peak for an explosion or something else to get your attention. Some new TV's can control the volume and new regulations will go into effect (you just got to wait about another year).

I've see a couple responses mention putting location in the SIG line. That seems redundant to me since I see everyone's location under their avatar.

Not every one has filled in their location for under the avatar... but I agree that their location should be required... it's nice to know everyone's name and city & state... sometimes it can make their positions in the threads more pertinent.

Texatdurango

I really don't see much of a problem as things are. Are some signatures annoying, yes but so are some posts! Having a link to a commercial site is one thing. having a signature that takes up half the screen on a laptop is another. I actually scroll past these posts quicker, often not even reading the post!

I like Roys approach which is nice and simple and effective without all the flashing neon signs. Flashing neon signs are appropriate for cheap motels and nothing else!

This is neither here nor there but I have NEVER understood the fascination with the quotes, usually in latin and all the bible verses which usually don't pertain to pen turning! :biggrin:

Last edited:

bnoles

1-Do away with logos
2-Limit to two links (one for their retail site and one for their Vendor web site)
3-Limit the letter size

This will give all the same advantage or disadvantage:rolleyes: to all, anyone that uses the signature lines to find and look at sites will have them and after a very short time we all will get used to a nice sedate signature line that gives all the info needed.

I think Roy is very much on target with the above with the exception of #5 as it is a repeat of info already visible.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
And maybe there should be a limit on how many pics can be posted, especially in one post. Then how about limiting the length of a post to 25 words. Seems some posts are the length of a short story. If this keeps going... this site will die. I've seen it happen to others. There is no such thing as too big to fail.

Just my opinion... it was asked for.:wink:

What does this have to do with signatures?

There is a limit on pics per post, it's 40. We've had some great tutorials posted with lots of photos.

Limit posts to 25 words? Don't hold your breath for that one. Your post above is double your proposed limit.

Andrew_K99

Quite a few are way too big and take up too much space. If "PM sent" added too much signatures must add 10 times that.

I'd suggest 2 lines max. (a name line and another), no images, and no links. If you want to advertise via your signature there should be an annual fee, $20 maybe? Nothing too high. If the classifieds cost to advertise signatures should be the same IMO.

Also, no colors or use of bold font. They shouldn't stand out like an advertisement (unless they're charged as one).

AK

Last edited:

DozerMite

Banned
Not every one has filled in their location for under the avatar... but I agree that their location should be required... it's nice to know everyone's name and city & state... sometimes it can make their positions in the threads more pertinent.

How so? It's information that isn't anyone elses business if the poster doesn't feel the need to reveal it. That's a choice. When someone emails you, calls you, or you even purchase something at the store, do you have the persons full name, city, state, underwear size? NO, but you still communicate with them.

DozerMite

Banned
What does this have to do with signatures?

There is a limit on pics per post, it's 40. We've had some great tutorials posted with lots of photos.

Limit posts to 25 words? Don't hold your breath for that one. Your post above is double your proposed limit.

Just pointing out the way this site is going. I don't hold my breath for anything, particularly when I have no control.

How many people do you want to loose? Many of the good ones are gone. I see many more to follow.

Perhaps... there should be no sigs, no classified, no advertising, etc. Just posts on pens only. I remember a time when people would say this is the greatest site on the web... not hearing that as much anymore.

People used to come here to enjoy the company and have a good time. That's over. Now people come here to create problems and cause it to change.
Change is not always a good thing.

I think the ban stick would be much more effective than changing everything else just for a few sour grapes.

Again, just my opinion.

Justturnin

I could not care either way. If I want to read them I do.......if I dont, I dont. I like the links so I can shop around. Makes it easy on me to help support my fellow IAPers.

GoodTurns

I've changed mine to that info and I'm turning off everyones in my CP.

easy enough for you...you're renting other space, gimpy! (PLEASE NOTE SARCASM!!!!)

open note to our benevolent dictator: What do you want? You have created a fantastic hangout for this motley band of penmaking degenerates (and I am at least as motley and degenerate as any!)... but it IS your house. While I support your proven desire to make everyone happy...it ain't gonna happen. You have given us great options for choosing what we see and what we ignore, tools we can use to amplify our experience and improve our perception of this site. You have allowed us to gather as a group in your basement and play our games! THANK YOU! Maybe it's your turn to just say "this is what I want." You developed the initial rules for sig lines, people found the edges of those limits, other people got upset, most respond with a resounding "eh".... change the rules if you feel that makes your vision of the future of this site better... most of us will (maybe) notice a small change and go on with our lives, a few will be offended and take it personally, and a couple will scream...and the world will go on. I thank you for this site and the knowledge it offers and the group that regularly gathers here and will be perfectly happy with YOUR choice.

Russianwolf

1-Do away with logos
3-Limit the letter size

I think Roy is very much on target with the above with the exception of #5 as it is a repeat of info already visible.

and you are where?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gandsande

I think the Long LaRgE funny pics and animated logs are a bit much with a daily saying or joke. However I do realize I can turn them off. On the other hand I often use the SIgnatures to link to guys sites and photos, etc...

I think If I got a say I would suggest that the Signatures follow more along the lines of most of our employers, Mine reads "Signature should be a simple block of text with Contact information that does not distract or mislead from the Context of the Message but allows the reader the ability to contact or reply to the sender in a professional manner"

If people feel the need to have Flashy Color animated icons or Large Print with Funky Colors With a joke and a Saying on top of that, then Maybe they need to get there own website and just leave a link in ths Signature block area.

I know some of you out there will snap at me but Just try loading all that extra stuff on a smart Phone or a small screen.

Jeff, I hate to Suggest another Rule mod as someone I am sure is going to screem and leave the site but Maybe this is worth a Try to limit the Font and or Pics expecialy the animated Pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom