Treadle lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The idea hit me last night to maybe build a treadle lathe. Still in the thinking stage, has anybody done it and what is it like to use one? Isn't there a nick name for those who use them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

if you build one

If you use the sprocket and chain from a bicycle you can get it to turn on one direction constantly unlike other versions. Makes it much easier to use.

MarkD

Sounds like an interesting way to turn while getting a workout!
Good Luck and keep us posted.

DurocShark

I've always wanted to try one...

Might be easiest to start with an existing lathe and focus on the treadle mechanism.

ve3bax

seems to me the best bet for one of these to have it ready for newyears... built in excuse to do some wood working!

"Sweetie, im not screwing around in the shop.. I'm working out! new years resolution!!!" :cool:

--Dave

bitshird

Try and find an old treadle sewing machine, it would have a large enough fly wheel (big pulley) to help with the rotation of the spindle, Mount the spindle on some built up Pillow blocks, , just not sure about the tail stock,.

sbwertz

Years ago a friend made one using the case from an old singer treadle sewing machine. I don't remember much about the details.

LOL Just saw the post above. Two minds with but a single thought.

BSea

Isn't there a nick name for those who use them?
I think they're called Neanderthals. :biggrin:

The idea hit me last night to maybe build a treadle lathe. Still in the thinking stage, has anybody done it and what is it like to use one?
On the serious side, I think it's a cool idea. I like using retro items (see my avatar). I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

Rick P

I have turned on a spring pole Lathe. My friend Fritz is into historical reenactments and buck skinning. I used to do blacksmith work and my father and brother still do.

Anyway Fritz made his out of wood from the ground up. You could turn a spindle on it if it was the only thing you had to use. A true treadle lathe run from a bike rig or an old sewing machine would be perfect for pens but bowls bigger than say a small cereal bowl would be tough. The only true treadle lathe I have ever worked with was an adapted sewing machine that could me run with one foot. I think the bike rig would be really limiting and you'd get smoother power transfer with a flywheel. I have used several treadle and kick type pottery wheels over the years that worked great, but I haven't seen any lathe or pottery wheels based off a bike.

Did a lot of looking, have an idea on what to do. My thought start basic and if I like it, do upgrades. I'm not much of a tinkerer, but the idea of building my own lathe and making a pen on it sounds like fun. HOWEVER I'm not going to wear the goofy clothes that you see people wearing in the videos.

Russianwolf

I have turned on a spring pole Lathe. My friend Fritz is into historical reenactments and buck skinning. I used to do blacksmith work and my father and brother still do.

Anyway Fritz made his out of wood from the ground up. You could turn a spindle on it if it was the only thing you had to use. A true treadle lathe run from a bike rig or an old sewing machine would be perfect for pens but bowls bigger than say a small cereal bowl would be tough. The only true treadle lathe I have ever worked with was an adapted sewing machine that could me run with one foot. I think the bike rig would be really limiting and you'd get smoother power transfer with a flywheel. I have used several treadle and kick type pottery wheels over the years that worked great, but I haven't seen any lathe or pottery wheels based off a bike.

The bike rig doesn't include peddles. It's still a treadle lathe (one foot operation, or in some cases powered by an assistant) in most of the original concept, but instead of a rope looped around the piece (or a "pulley" portion of a drive shaft) It has a chain that goes over the sprocket that's attached to the spindle. This allows the spindle to spin freely without the treadle being in constant motion and allows for the travel to only in one direction (the big downside to the rope driven types). You can still have a flywheel.

Think about how when you are peddling a bike and stop peddling. the wheel is able to still spin because of the sprocket design. The chain can only pull it in one direction. The other direction free spins.

Top Bottom