Winestem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This is a CSUSA wine glass bulb with a spalted pin-oak stem. The wood is from a limb that fell at the edge of my lawn. Because it dropped off the family tree (so to speak), I thought it would make an appropriate Christmas gift for my mother.

1_Winestem.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

You don't have boards of that stuff laying around do you?
At this point, only a few shorts - and some (like this one) are almost too punky to turn. I had to use lots of thin ca glue to prevent tearout during final shaping. I think the tree is still there, so I prefer to think of it as boards "standing" around, not laying.

Regards,
Eric

Eric,
That is beautiful... what is the wood... looks a little like the bowl I made from some spalted maple.

I've made a few of those and had the good fortune of selling a few this past weekend at the local Holiday Market.

The first ones I made were from the bulbs I bought from CSUSA, but have discovered I can pick up wine glasses at various places and cut the stems myself... generally much less expensive than CSUSA.

Sylvanite

It looks like it needs to be set a little deeper in the stem
Yes, I think so too. My original thought was to have the glass stand up from the stem (as it is). I wanted the wood to have an "uplifting" look. Now that it's together, though, I feel it would look better with the bulb sitting lower on the stem.

I may put it back on the lathe and widen the recess a bit.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Eric

Top Bottom