Wild Cherry Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithlong

keithlong

Here is a cherry bowl that I was gifted as a rough out. I finished it, and it is 9 1/2 inches round, 3/12 inches deep, and the wall thickness is 5/16 thick. Finish is 5 coats of mineral oil/beeswax.

Attachments

• 130510_025.jpg
    130510_025.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 130510_023.jpg
    130510_023.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

Very nice.:good: Isn't it funny, I work for a furniture manufacturer, and wood that "ugly" would be thrown out. :confused: But you turned it into a nice bowl!:befuddled:

robutacion

Very nice.:good: Isn't it funny, I work for a furniture manufacturer, and wood that "ugly" would be thrown out. :confused: But you turned it into a nice bowl!:befuddled:

Yes, that is very true unfortunately, there are "fair" reasons why no one in the furniture industry wants anything but long and wide slabs/planks of wood that have not knots, no flaws of any kind nor any "chunks that have too much of a "busy" grain or features as that would interfere with the clean look and fine lines of that piece of furniture however, there many folks out there that disagree that that waste and use of wood, and do what I did, went from building clean, fine line solid wood furniture to make solid wood furniture from the most rustic, unusual, natural looking and crazy shapes, colours, flaws, as nature will throw at you and use those same natural characteristics to create pieces of furniture that some people do prefer than anything else mass produced...!

Saying this, is nothing wrong with what you do and said, I did exactly the same once however, I learn to appreciate wood and nature creations a little better and differently than before so, the major CLUE of all this is that, if anyone out there is nearby a wood furniture place, you have your "gold mine" right there, normally all free of charge...!

As for the bowl, I like it but, I would suggest you to think about the piece balance on its own, and if used, its good possibility that will not be stable enough to stand up with stuff in it due to too narrow foot in relation to top diameter and wood weight so, think about that...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Having seen some of George's turnings, I respect his comments, but in this case disagree with him as to the stability of the bowl... the foot looks to be about 1/3 the diameter of the top and with a slight concave in the foot, will stand and be quite stable.... I like the footed bowl styles.... Wild cherry has a lot of beauty in the various grains and coloration.

Steve Busey

Here is a cherry bowl that I was gifted as a rough out. I finished it, and it is 9 1/2 inches round, 3/12 inches deep, and the wall thickness is 5/16 thick. Finish is 5 coats of mineral oil/beeswax.

Great looking bowl - I roughed out a cherry blank last weekend that will likely look a lot like that one. Looking more forward to it now!

But what was the depth again? 3/12 by my calculations is 1/4"... :confused:

lucky13

That is a great looking bowl. I love the way the cherry turns and finishes. I just made my first bowl on monday and just so happens I used cherry root.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful piece, the form is nice, there are no apparent tool marks, and the wood itself is amazing. Well done!

louisbry

Very nicely turned Keith and you did the blank justice. The finish you chose really makes the cherry pattern pop. I think the size of the foot is just right to give the bowl a pleasing shape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom