Which Cap'n Eddie tool for pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

I think it's time to try a carbide tipped tool for pen turning. It'll be used mainly on acrylics and deer antler.

I see several that he offers, but would like some advice from some of you that have bought from him. I like supporting "the little guy" as much as possible, so would rather order from him than a big store.

I assume I'll need to turn a handle for this, right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I haven't looked at his tools, but for carbide I prefer the round cutter, far fewer catches, actually, I haven't had a catch yet with the round cutter.
Just my 2 1/2 cents

Curt

mjbarry21

Check out his you tube channel, I believe it's called Making Shavings or just search his name. He actually has one about turning the handle for his tools. I bought my first carbides from him. You can buy the bar and a couple of different insert, then change them out to see what you like. I agree that the Round cutter it nice, I also use the radius square a lot. Have one small square, perfect for making tenons. Yes small company, when you call to order the Cap answers the phone. Lives in LA, so plan your time zone.

Sataro

I haven't used his tools.! I use the EWT small radius square. They both do the same job though. The small radius cutter is my main turning tool. I also use the round cutter occasionally.

Either the small or large radius, I have been using his tools for several years and have never had issues. R2's work good for almost any spindle work in my experience.

jsolie

I picked up an EWT pen tool about two years ago on sale. I like the small size of the tool--when I need to use carbide. I use my skew for probably 98% of my pen turning.

I get the cutters from Cap'n Eddie. When his health issues started, I bought several packs, knowing that it would help out. His 2R2 10.7mm radius cutters work great on the little pen tool

Hope this helps.

boatemp

I just barely started on pens and turning. Got Cap'n Eddies radiussed (?) cutters. Just ordered the diamond shaped.

Works okay for me. Rockler had a sale awhile back. Handle, tool (round) and round cutter for 30.00 Bought a couple. Put aside the round cutters and used the radiussed. I get good results.
Glad I found you guys. A wealth of info. Hope to pick some brains. I'm 75, trying to retire but can't so I figured to turn some.

hcpens

temptat, always willing to lend a hand, if you cannot find it by the search, just ask, and someone will give you an answer or an opinion.

Welcome from San Antonio, TX

efrulla

When I was new to turning I bought the Carbide Magic tools from Penn State Industries which are actually the small EWT tools. I buy my cutters from Capt. Eddie and had no issues with them. I use the square radius cutters as I seem to have better luck with them. Knowing what I know now, I will buy next set of carbide tools directly from EWT but will always buy my cutters from the Capt.

Top Bottom