Table saw advise needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srs64

Sorta got a budget and been looking for a new table saw ( wish wife would shell out for a saw stop)
Be looking at the
Ridgid 13-Amp 10 in. Professional Cast Iron Table Saw $549.00

vs

DELTA 13-Amp 10-in Table Saw $597.00

Like the cast top on the ridgid and the fence on the delta
Any input on what you guys like of them

Sherm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Both saws look so high tech compared to my old Jet table saw. Are you planning on taking the saw to job sites, or is it going to spend time as a stationary tool in your shop? If it's traveling, I'd say go with whichever is lighter. If it's staying, either would probably be okay.

If you're going to be cutting pen blanks on either one, be sure to make yourself a crosscut sled. It makes cutting and trimming pen blanks much safer and easier. I'll only cut pen blanks on my sled, and prefer to do most cutting on it, just because I know I can secure the piece being cut and my hands are well away from the blade.

TurtleTom

I used to be a Delta fan, but that ended when the new parent company stopped producing replacement parts. I won't support a company that doesn't support its products.

I'm with Sylvanite on the Delta products.
A cast iron table is awfully useful for magnets, I can't imagine using one of those granite top saws without my magnets.
I use a Grizzly, no problems. BTW it is nearly identical to the Rigid in appearance.
If you can upgrade the fence, do so now because you will eventually. The fence is everything for a pen turner.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I used to be a Delta fan, but that ended when the new parent company stopped producing replacement parts. I won't support a company that doesn't support its products.

I'm with Sylvanite on the Delta products.
A cast iron table is awfully useful for magnets, I can't imagine using one of those granite top saws without my magnets.
I use a Grizzly, no problems. BTW it is nearly identical to the Rigid in appearance.
If you can upgrade the fence, do so now because you will eventually. The fence is everything for a pen turner.

I second this. Being able to use magnetic tools is a plus. You will get favorable votes for either saw. I suggest you look at a few things.

How easy is it for you to fine tune the blade to the table???

How well is the fence and miter gauge adjusted and it ease of use and rigidity. Are the miter slots the same size as your bandsaw?? Are they any special design where making sleds and jigs for will be a challenge??

How well is the saw backed up and is it exclusive to one particular place???

I would stay away from extension wings that are not solid. Finger traps.

Is the saw right or left tilting (you need to make that decision which is better for you)

Are the adjustment handles easily reached and move well??

Is the on /off switch easily reached??

These would be a few of the points I would look at. Good luck.

srs64

Things I do with a table saw, make small drawers, bandsaw boxs, nothing real large. maybe some cutting boards, jigs.. wanting to build some jigs and do some segmenting.

NUTTING LARGE

TO LAZY FOR BIG PROJECTS:biggrin:

Curly

Show your wife the threads here and on other forums where the table saws have won the flesh verses steel battle. Then go ask her for the new SawStop or new Bosch flesh sensing saw. Might also be convinced if you tell her what the medical and lost time from work costs could be. Risk in that is her banning you from all hobbies and activities that involve sharp or power tools. You could become a bubble wrap husband!!!

Top Bottom