Welcome to the Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest sponsored by Exotic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
No it is not, its a terrrible ploy to take you to the trivia contest where you will never be seen again.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A nickle is not bad, hmmm we have 17,000 + members thats $850.00 in nickles if you can pull it off. I get half. Deal?

toddlajoie

A nickle is not bad, hmmm we have 17,000 + members thats $850.00 in nickles if you can pull it off. I get half. Deal?

Of course it's going to cost him $840.00 to ship him the barrel of nickels... He can drop a dollar into a $2.95 padded envelope to cover your half...

Ed McDonnell

Ha! Just got a few more entries over at the best pen contest in the universe. Won't be long until I have over 200 entries.

Bwaaahaahaahaaahhaahahahaha.

After a great morning, I felt this advanced pen making stuff is so easy I needed to handicap myself to give everyone else a chance. I spent the afternoon making pens blindfolded PLUS I made dinner (Stuffed Poblanos, picked fresh from the garden today) at the same time.

My wife was very curious to know what I used to season the peppers because they tasted very very different :eek:. My pen is a now a prime candidate for the edible pen contest, but maybe not so much advanced.

Tomorrow I start fresh again, without the blindfold and a little humbler (but not much).

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Are you skipping work today because its too cold? Or you just dont feel like going to work. Heck its almost the weekend anyway! Well good for you, that gives you one more day to make a great pen and enter it in the contest. Do a Happy Friday dance, down some strong coffee, and get out to the shop and turn something!

Ed McDonnell

You convinced me. I just sent an email to my boss telling him what he can do with his job. I'm going to make pens.....wait a minute...I retired 15 years ago....I wonder if he's still there?.....Maybe he reads this forum....Hey Jim, take your job and shov...........oops sorry, got carried away there.

I think I'll just head on out to the shop and do some turning / casting / carving / melting / tempering and stuff. Maybe a pen will materialize as a result.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Better hurry up Folks Ed is know to whip up a mean pen. You will have to bring you A game if your going to win in this contest. Besides He will never let me have a minutes peace if he wins it.:beat-up:

JohnGreco

My pen body is finished! Almost had an OH S#!% moment when the bushings I was using turned out to be the wrong set (too small)! Something told me the size didn't look right, I stopped before turning all the way down and BAM....was already on the money. Close call, now hoping the cap turns out as well.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pay no atttention to the clown from the Trivia contest trolling for contestants. :eek: Lame lame lame. :tongue: My contestants have much more class than that and are better looking than the trivia contestants, they are smarter too.:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome back! Pen turning fans everywhere. That sure was a doozey of a half time show wasn't it!. I believe my favorite was the IAP Cheerleaders in nothing but a smock, a pair of safety glasses and a smile!:biggrin: Who knew an IAP smock could look that good. As we head into the last weekend of the competiton things are getting down and dirty. I dont know when I have seen the chips get this deep this fast!:eek: We are knee deep in chips now and its getting deeper.:cool: Parkland turner is busy grinding out his entry and is keeping it under wraps. I bet its going to be a show stopper or maybe a bottle stopper! Dont count the other members out as we have some serious talant out there making pens and they have come to win!

Now folks have you felt listless lately? Hard to get started on a pen? Maybe its lost it excitement. Well those good folks down at Exotic Blanks, Ed and Dawn have just the thing to fix you up. 87 different exotic flavors, or more,of heavenly blank excitement. Beautiful kits and a Freebee thats just sure to set you back on track. Take the time to give a call and tell them you heard it here on IAP sports competition radio.

We are back and its looking ugly, well not the pens but some of the turners could use a little beauty sleep if you know what I mean. A certain "One" of them could use a years worth. Join us later today for more of "As the Skew turns" !!:biggrin::biggrin:

D.Oliver

Well those good folks down at Exotic Blanks, Ed and Dawn have just the thing to fix you up. 87 different exotic flavors, or more,of heavenly blank excitement. Beautiful kits and a Freebee thats just sure to set you back on track. Take the time to give a call and tell them you heard it here on IAP sports competition radio.

In case your not familiar with Ed and Dawn over at Exotic Blanks here's a link to their site.

lyonsacc

Pay no atttention to the clown from the Trivia contest trolling for contestants. :eek: Lame lame lame. :tongue: My contestants have much more class than that and are better looking than the trivia contestants, they are smarter too.:biggrin:

Hey :eek: no one has ever thought I was George Clooney, and I have only once been confused with a hairy ape (they saw me from the back, and well, . . . its a long story). As far as being smart goes, I am Certified . . . at something (or did the doctor say certifiable?).

Anyway, You've got one of the BEST contests at the BASH. Its just too bad you have a measly 3 prizes. I mean, the Trivia contest Daily Trivia Contest - International Association of Penturners only has 57 prizes with WINNERS EVERY DAY!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Twweeeeet! Penalty! Underhanded Trivia Trolling... 15 prize penalty for underhanded sneaky Trivia Link

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Twweeeeet! Penalty! Underhanded Trivia Trolling... 15 prize penalty for underhanded sneaky Trivia Link

I'm throwing the challenge flag! My link actually goes to Exotic Blanks. Gees I would never do something low down and sneaky to Ed & Dawn. They are such good, funny, caring people. Smart too. In fact they are so smart that I bet they'll want to sponsor the Trivia contest next year!

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its a quiet Friday night and the hum of a lathe turning somewhere in the night can be heard. Is it thee? Are you making the pen to end all pens? Will the glory of pen making be raised above the heads and hearts of mere mortals once again? It will if you get your pen done and submitted on time.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:biggrin:If your the brazen soul that waits until the pressure is on to start making your pen Im here to tell you........GET Off your Butt and get started your running out of time.:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Good Morning IAP
IF your reading this your not making a pen! Grab your coffee (totally Important) and mosey on over to the shop. Tell anyone who asks you will be back when its done and not a moment sooner.. Your a turner not a wimp, fire that lathe up and get ready to rock and roll.:biggrin: Nothing like the smell of pr ribbons in the morning, or ebonite either for that matter.:eek:
We will see you when you emerge victorious from your turning cave. Completed Pen held high, glistening in the setting sun like a golden trophy worthy of the pen gods. Standing there in the last glow of the setting sun secure in your knowledge that you, yes you have made the ultimate pen in the contest!:highfive: You head back into the house to bask in admiration and to submit your masterpiece before retiring to your easy chair and a well earned rest.

Ed McDonnell

I woke up this morning and I can't stand up straight and I can barely walk. Darn back!!! I'm not going to let that stop me though. My wife is going to help me hobble out the the shop and then she will prop me up by my lathe so I can get some more work done on my pen.

It may have to be a simpler entry than I originally planned because walking from machine to machine for different operations is not in the cards at the moment.

Maybe things will get better later. Maybe something new and exciting will result from my newly improvised workflow.

Stay tuned.

Ed

Twissy

Good Morning IAP
IF your reading this your not making a pen! Grab your coffee (totally Important) and mosey on over to the shop. Tell anyone who asks you will be back when its done and not a moment sooner.. Your a turner not a wimp, fire that lathe up and get ready to rock and roll.:biggrin: Nothing like the smell of pr ribbons in the morning, or ebonite either for that matter.:eek:
We will see you when you emerge victorious from your turning cave. Completed Pen held high, glistening in the setting sun like a golden trophy worthy of the pen gods. Standing there in the last glow of the setting sun secure in your knowledge that you, yes you have made the ultimate pen in the contest!:highfive: You head back into the house to bask in admiration and to submit your masterpiece before retiring to your easy chair and a well earned rest.

After that motivational speech I almost wish my pen wasn't finished! Wonder if I've got time to make one for another category.................hmmmmm..........cogs whirring!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Heading into Saturday evening. Have you emerged from your turning cave yet? Are we victorious in our quest to forge the ultimate pen of pens? No!:eek: Get back in that shop and dont you dare come out without a pen.:biggrin:

Carl Fisher

It's a shame. I finished a pen today I actually like BETTER than the one I submitted. Oh well, I guess the goal is for your next pen to always be better than your last so I guess I'm headed in the right direction.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thats the great thing about the contests, it pushes you to greater levels. The next pen will be even better yet.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its getting late, I know you have turned that blank true and your now putting on the finishing touches. A touch up of CA here an extra sanding there. Its starting to gleam and speak to you. Soon you will turn off the light and head back into the house where you will dream of Gold and glory, You will hear the applause and admiration of your fellow turners. Some weeping gently at the beauty of your pen........:yawn:

D.Oliver

Its getting late, I know you have turned that blank true and your now putting on the finishing touches. A touch up of CA here an extra sanding there. Its starting to gleam and speak to you. In case you don't speak pen, it's telling you to head over to the Trivia contest. Soon you will turn off the light and head back into the house where you will dream of Gold and glory that can be won everyday in the trivia contest, You will hear the applause and admiration of your fellow turners after you win in the trivia contest. Some weeping gently at the beauty of your penchant for playing the trivia contest........:yawn:

Gee Mike thanks for the plug. That's mighty nice of you.:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

I'm just hanging out for another hour or so waiting for my last resin cast to get to the point where I can do my third and final color cast for the day. A couple more rounds of carving, casting, turning and polishing tomorrow and I might be ready to think about putting a pen together.

Ed

Top Bottom