Wall Clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dontheturner

dontheturner

I have made over 40 of these, in the UK, over many years, Now here in Thailand, I have changed my design a little, and am using Thailand woods - & have 5 more in the pipeline. dontheturner

Attachments

• Quartz Wall Clock, with pendulum..jpg
    Quartz Wall Clock, with pendulum..jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

Don, You are turning out some nice clocks (pun intended). I like the design, very exquisite. What are the Thailand woods you are using?

jttheclockman

I have made over 40 of these, in the UK, over many years, Now here in Thailand, I have changed my design a little, and am using Thailand woods - & have 5 more in the pipeline. dontheturner

Don

You are showing some examples of work that I am really enjoying. In fact one clock the skeleton insert one has really got my interest and I will try contacting the company you mentioned and see if they ship to the USA and what shipping cost would be.

Anyway I looked at this clock many times now and there is something that has or keeps bothering me. It definitely is not the design because that is spot on. But it is that bob and that straight skinny brass bar holding the bob. It does not fit in with the boxy look of the clock body. I was thinking to not make it a pendulum clock was my first thought, then my seond thought would be to step it up a notch and dress the pendulum up with a lyre
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-353__sku-aaaay.html

I think I would chose the second option. What do you think??? Just throwing ideas out there.

Last edited:

dontheturner

response

Don, very nice clock, nice columns, also pretty wood, what species is it?

Hello there! - Well that particular photo, was an early example - made in the UK, and was English Oak. Now I am in Thailand, I am trying (Spelling may be doubtful) Bradoo, Sak. Ching Chan, Payung,... however Sak, which is almost white when I get it from the solitary woodyard, changes to a horrible brown, if the sun so much as catches it - it gets tanned!

So although it is useful, I do not have much around. The others, appear to be all very hardwood, but I suspect beadings, what few there are, come from China. (Thai's call them Persha!) Thanks for your input, and comments - appreciated. dontheturner

dontheturner

Don

You are showing some examples of work that I am really enjoying. In fact one clock the skeleton insert one has really got my interest and I will try contacting the company you mentioned and see if they ship to the USA and what shipping cost would be.

Anyway I looked at this clock many times now and there is something that has or keeps bothering me. It definitely is not the design because that is spot on. But it is that bob and that straight skinny brass bar holding the bob. It does not fit in with the boxy look of the clock body. I was thinking to not make it a pendulum clock was my first thought, then my seond thought would be to step it up a notch and dress the pendulum up with a lyre
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-353__sku-aaaay.html

I think I would chose the second option. What do you think??? Just throwing ideas out there.
Hello Again, JT, Your comments, are greatly appreciated. The Lyre - definitely would be my choice, but it also needed a deeper backboard, though all sorts of things came into my head, initially. What I was trying to do, was create a small version, of a Grandfather clock. I made several Grandfathers, and also, an open bracket clock ---, and when friends saw them , everyone would have loved one, but the cost put them off! I am totally gobsmacked, at how cheap the Lyre's are - I would have been on to them straight away!- Never seen them in the UK. All my clock parts, came from Carl, in UK - but his stock has gone down in quality, due to the cost, I suspect - do look - www.clockparts.co.uk it is a company called c and L Clocks, but whereas he used to make the brass dials, they are no longer available anywhere in England - that and other things, is why I have left, and come here. (no Tax no planning - low food prices!!!) don

Top Bottom