Using Re-Inkers for coloring PR and/or Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdivot

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and look forward to sharing my penmaking experiences as well learning a great deal from all of you seasoned pros (I am NOT a seasoned pro by any stretch).
I am entering the world of pen blank casting. I have a question about the colors used in casting PR and/or Alumilite.
I have no problem buying pigments or dyes specially made for the process, but I happen to have on hand a whole bunch of small bottles of Ranger re-inkers in many different colors. I am wondering if I can use these for colorants when casting.
They indicate that they are acid free, permanent, and waterproof. They come in convenient dropper bottles. The labels say they conform to ASTM-D4236. I am not a chemist and have no idea what this means, I just thought it might shed some light.
I just mixed up a small amount of Silmar 41 and added some of the re-inker. It's currently in the mold so we'll see what happens.

Does anyone know anything about these things, or is there a chemist who can shed some light for me.
Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Welcome from somewhere else in Texas, Steve! The only thing I know about casting is that I have to pay someone to do. You should have some answers shortly.

BSea

It's certainly worth a shot. I've tried some other things in the past with minimal sucess. But that doesn't mean it won't work.

And welcome.

resinman

Hi
If the ink has any type of moisture in it, you awaiting disaster. Moisture of any kind is Alumilites' fatal enemy. I think the same goes for PR.
Thank You, Gary

its_virgil

I have used India Ink to color polyresin with no problem but agree that dyes and pigments made for the specific resin would be best along with mica powders. Alumilite does not like water/moisture for sure.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi
If the ink has any type of moisture in it, you awaiting disaster. Moisture of any kind is Alumilites' fatal enemy. I think the same goes for PR.
Thank You, Gary

sdivot

Thanks for the replies. I tried a little purple re-inker with some Silmar 41. It came out of the mold looking quite brown. I'm going to give it another shot, but so far not so good.
Steve

Top Bottom