USB Memory Stick Kit Source?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from christopher_2

christopher_2

I would like to make a few USB memory Sticks to match my pens. Anyone know where to purchase them, Google was not my friend:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Most of the kits need a big pen, because of the size of the USB plug.
But the memory part of it is pretty small.. I have some here that
the USB plug is about 10 times as large as the memory portion..
and the full sized USB plug isn't being used as much anymore.

Wonder how long it would take for them to come up with a
micro-USB kit? You could fit a 32gig card in a slimline finial.
A little USB to micro-USB adapter would make it universal. And
those are cheap.

sbarton22

I realize that some things out there are to make for your own purposes, but there is no way you could possibly make a buck with those kits. You can get an 8GB flash drive for less than $10. PSI wants $34 for theirs and that doesn't include anything for your effort or materials.

But, I don't blame them. I'm sure from the first moment they ordered them from the manufacturer, the price of memory has dropped 200-800% on them.

I've always wanted to make a batch, I just never have found a good source for a kit or something I could take apart.

plantman

:bananen_smilies068:Christopher said he wanted a kit. PSI is the only one I could think of off hand that sells a kit. I agree, thats way to much to pay for that size memory. If you just want to buy the Flash Drive, go to newegg.com. You can get a Kingston Data Traveler SEG 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive for $9.99. I buy from them quite often and have been pleased with their products and service. Anyone interested in any type of electronics, games, cameras, or PCs, this is the place to look !!! You can't beat the prices, or service. Jim S

Last edited:

Fibonacci

Wood-n-whimsies used to sell just the hardware without the flash drive itself for $11. I bought some of them and put 64gb drives in them and sold them for $150.

The round form factor doesn't work on a lot of machines though.

christopher_2

I think this maybe the kit I am looking for. Sent an email to PSI to find out if the kit has everything except the flashcard.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKFCX.html

To answer a few miscellaneous ramblings in the post, I do understand I can buy them from Newegg and I do use Newegg. I don't plan on doing this to make money, the market is to much of a niche, the only way I would make one and sell one is on a special request. I would just like to make one to match a few ink pens.

Hendu3270

Good idea. I've seen the cost of the PSI kits in the past and thought why not just buy a flash drive and create some small square stock from your wood of choice and assemble a "square blank" around the existing drive and turn it on the lathe with a removable cap or something. Haven't tried it but I did do a little "brain storming" awhile back on it.

Top Bottom