Beads and wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jeannius

Jeannius

As well as making pens, I particularly like sewing beads onto turned wood.
This one is of spalted beech with Japanese seed beads:
jbtMoms1.jpg

In this case:
The form is turned in two parts, the beads are stitched on through many (64 in this case) 0.5mm holes and the parts are then glued together to hide the stitching, and hopefully, the joint.

Size approx 130mm high x 65mm diameter
Finish: Sanding sealer then buffed with tripoli and carnuba wax
Bead sizes: Miyuki 15, 11 and small drops.

And... because I always get asked this: the hole in the top is either 6mm or 8mm (Can't remember which) And - Yes - it is possible to make a hollow form like this (without the beads on) and hollow it from the top. So long as your hollowing tool shaft diameter is small enough to fit in the hole with a mm or two to spare, it can be done.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeannius

Thank you.

gbpens: Not yet, but it will undoubtedly happen at some point in time, as I have been known to put them on lace bobbins. To give a better idea of size, the large green beads (near the top in the grey) on this are 2mm diameter

holmquer: Thank you - Yes - I have indeed :) There's a link to my FB page in my signature. If you look in my woodturning album, there are more items there.

redneckmedic: Eyecandy! Much more slimming than chocolate, and boy, some of us need that!

peyote: Nice idea! It would be like a little dancing shaker as I sprinkle myself in the morning after a shower. Now I like the idea of that... :)

Top Bottom