Urn from curly walnut, ash, and pre-Civil War era pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

redfishsc

Here is an urn I just finished, and the story behind it. Feel free to skip the story, it's a bit preachy.

About a year ago, I lost one of my best friends in a car wreck. He was 20, was being sold booze at a bar illegally, and he left drunk in the wee hours of the morning. His car was found wrapped around a tree.

It took me entirely too long to make this urn. Two things slowed me down. First, my midi-lathe was entirely insufficient for this and isn't set up for faceplate work anyhow. It's a pen-spinner, not a bowl hog. So when I could afford it, I bought the Harbor-Fright :)eek:) variable speed lathe. Actually worked fairly well.

Second. It's an uneasy thing to make an urn for a friend whom you've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours fishing with. He was the best fishing buddy I've ever had, other than my own Dad.

Many times when we'd fish, we'd encounter drunk folks. Robie was a teenager at the time and I'd point out to him how bluntly stupid these guys were. And they always proved me right. There are so many ways to make a total idiot of yourself when fishing drunk, they never failed me. I grew up with an alcoholic, which almost totally destroyed our family over and over, for two decades. Robie lived with an alcoholic. So I tried to teach him, best I could, why he should avoid it.

Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to keep Robie from it. Anyhow, no apologies about the sermon, maybe someone here will take it to heart. Have a beer when you are legal but stay sober minded always. Stop the booze long before you think you've reached your "limit".

I don't want to have to make an urn for any of you guys for this reason!

Here are the pics.

Curly walnut (the curl in the top piece doesn't show well). Ash for the stripes. The lid is pine taken from a house that was torn down that was pre-Civil War era.

DSCN4894.jpg

DSCN4892.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Partyof5

It is a beautiful tribute you paid to a dear friend. Robie is smiling down from above, and you will see him again someday. Hopefully, this will help you heal as well.

nava1uni

Very nice urn. I am sorry that you lost your friend so senselessly. I second your words about drinking. I personally have seen it ruin many peoples lives. I consider it the worst drug around.
I hope that making the urn helps your healing process.

Drstrangefart

Having dealt with the problems associated with excessive drinking and some other substances, I can tell you firsthand it destroys lives. The urn is beautiful, and the pre-civil war pine is a really cool touch. I wish I could have been capable of making one for my uncle, who passed away as a result of the same kind of problems.

redfishsc

Love the urn... you didn't say what size it is or how it's finished... great piece of art though... I'm sure Robie will be happy with it.

I never took the final dimensions and wrote them down lol, I just made sure the inside was enough volume.

It's roughly 7" across, and 15" tall.

The finish is satin conversion varnish (post-catalyzed lacquer type product). Sprayed 5 coats. Gentle scuff sanding in between. No final rub-down, it looks great right off the gun.

Top Bottom