First NE bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Steve Busey

Steve Busey

Did my first natural edge bowl this weekend, used a hickory log from a tree we had cut down two weeks ago. Lost a few "teeth" along the rim in the process, but am overall pleased.

Still need to turn it around and sand/finish the bottom, but not until I put one more coat of lacquer on the inside.

hickorybowl1.jpg hickorybowl2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job, I've been fooling around with NE a bit lately and it is pretty fun.

bitshird

CA glue will be your friend on those edges. Helps hold the loose pieces in place.

Nice looking NE bowl, I never thought about Hickory, sure looks good so far, +1 for the CA on the bark, I think you did great, considering the wood was only cut up a short while back, The best wood to use for NE bowls is wood that was felled during the winter, the sap has already run away from the bark and cambium so the bark is almost glued on to the sapwood. But CA sure helps once you have your shape defined, Thin CA and frequent application. If you hit it with accelerator the bark even looks polished before you spray it with Lacquer or Poly.

Steve Busey

I actually did use CA on the rim early on, but the missing teeth flew off after I took a lunch break and the bowl had warped considerably. Thought about gluing some pieces back in the gaps, but then would have had to try and trim them to match - no easy feat way out on the "high" flanges. Decided to leave well enough alone.

dgscott

Very handsome. It will be interesting to see if it reshapes some, since you only cut down the tree two weeks ago.
Doug

Steve Busey

Very handsome. It will be interesting to see if it reshapes some, since you only cut down the tree two weeks ago.
Doug

I'm sure it still has some movement left in it. I plan to put it on the shelf for at least a couple weeks before addressing the bottom. And at that point it'll be too out of round to do much cutting except for removing the tenon - time for the sandpaper!

Top Bottom