Type of CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am planning on trying a CA/BLO finish on my pens and was wondering whether I should use thin or medium density CA glue and how many coats I should use. Does anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We will use all three depending on the wood and the thickness of finish we need. Some woods will soak up the CA fast and furious. The thin will penetrate before hardening and it is difficult and time consuming to build up a sufficient layer for finishing on these types of wood. Medium and thick are sometimes needed to build on and fill. Then there are the days that I turn the blank down too much and need to build up .008 to .012 to be flush with the bushings. So basically it is a personal preference as well as a situation call.

aggromere

I start with thin. Two or three coats, then sand 240 to 600, clean and inspect. If all is well, I will do one more coat of thin, then follow with medium to the desired thickness of the finish. I haven't had the nerve yet to try thick.

Seer

My CA finish has evolved over trial and error. I started with the CA/BLO and then progressed to straight CA. This is what I do now and it works for ME.
I sand to whatever grit I feel is necessary usually 320 grit. I clean the blank with DNA and then use good paper towels (Brawyn etc) and put some in a large drop on the paper towel which is about an inch wide and folded over till there are about 8 layers and then running the lathe at the slowest speed I rub this back and forth untill it starts to grab and then hit it with a small spray of accelerator. I stop and then see if there are ridges (easier to get rid of at this point) and if none I apply several more coats this way and to date the ridges are far and few between. After applying all my caots this way I wet sand with MM not using the lowest grades (green & brown colors) and I get a good finish. I started using Plastx this weekend on some bowling ball pens and it has made a good difference in the shine. Like I said this works for me your mileage may vary.
Jerry

Top Bottom