How do you apply your Ren-Wax? Buffer, Cloth or Other!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Just setup my buffer wheels and have a spare, thats supposed to be for the carnuba. Seen as I usually apply Ren after my CA finishes on the lathe, Im think that the spare soft buffer could be a Ren buffer?

Anyone tried this with any success or failure!! Or is the good old cloth the best route?

Any suggestions or discussion welcome!!

PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

I put on a light coat of wax with my bare fingertip, let it dry a few minutes, then buff lightly by hand with a terry cloth towel or an old t-shirt. I'd worry that a power buffer would remove too much of the wax.
txbob

IPD_Mrs

We apply ours on the lathe after the blank has been polished with Novus. With a soft cloth we will apply it to the blank at the slowest speed. You will see the blank dull as it is applied. We then let is spin until the wax is dry and use a soft cloth to buff the pen until it is brought to a brilliant shine.

Mark

I apply Ren Wax while still spinning on the lathe. I use my finger to apply it. After I'd guess 30 seconds I shut the lathe off and wipe the wax off "length wise" with a micro-fiber towel. Good Luck..

broitblat

This isn't much different from what others are saying, but I usually apply the ren wax with a paper towel with the lathe stopped. After a few minutes drying time, I turn on the lathe and lightly wipe with a clean cloth to remove the excess.

-Barry

tool-man

+1 for what txbob does.

I have also left a tiny piece of cotton t-shirt in the Renwax can. After a few days it becomes saturated with wax and makes an excellent applicator. I can wax several pens just with the wax that has made its way to the piece of cotton. A little goes a long way.

I should add that I am only using Renwax as a very light finishing wax. Perhaps it adds a little gloss and I think protects against finger print oils.

I put on a light coat of wax with my bare fingertip, let it dry a few minutes, then buff lightly by hand with a terry cloth towel or an old t-shirt. I'd worry that a power buffer would remove too much of the wax.
txbob

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
off topic

+1 for what txbob does.

I have also left a tiny piece of cotton t-shirt in the Renwax can. After a few days it becomes saturated with wax and makes an excellent applicator. I can wax several pens just with the wax that has made its way to the piece of cotton. A little goes a long way.

I should add that I am only using Renwax as a very light finishing wax. Perhaps it adds a little gloss and I think protects against finger print oils.

Hey Andy. This is off topic but you folks seem to have pretty well answered the questiion.

I'm going to be in Hagerstown for Thanksgiving. My eldest daughter is a school marm (actually a high school principal) in the Washington County Schools and lives on the western side of I81. Don't know how long I'll be there though might have to go there and back in the same day.

IPD_Mrs

Moke wouldn't the wool be ruffer than cotton? I honestly don't know which is why I am asking.

How about a chamois cloth, does anyone use those?

Top Bottom