Two scrapers I made this week end

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

I made these two scrappers out of 3/8" thick spring steel from a leaf spring. The bevel is approx 40 degrees when I tried them out they both cut beautifly and the square nose is great for cutting the side of box lids.
The handle for the one on top is a local wood called china berry and the bottom handle is an old shovel handle found in Jerome (local ghost town about 5 miles away). On the shovel handle I sanded then made a slury of dust and medium super glue then worked it into all the cracks. Sorry the pictures are not great took with my cell phone.
C&C welcome
I also made a tool rack but pictures did not come out well.
Thanks William

Attachments

• tools1.jpg
    tools1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 272
  • tools2.jpg
    tools2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 158
  • tools3.jpg
    tools3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ah, William, you inspire me! Gotta go rob some old car of a leaf or two.

We, too, were in Jerome 2 yrs ago. Nifty place. Lots of artists, including one pen turner at an old hotel/artist coop who did really nice work.

KenV

Nice to see someone doing old school style tools. Exotic steels might be popular but basic carbon steels worked nicely for hundreds of years.

Along with outhouses and horse drawn conveyance -- that worked well for a long time. The challenge of disposal of waste products from horses in cities before the turn of the 20th century makes for some interesting reading. 1899-1900 is when the introduction of High Speed Steel made the revolutionary change in metal work -- what a difference a few differences in alloys and a change in heat treatment made in how machine work is done.

A hundred and fourteen years later, HSS is well established and old hat --

High carbon steel is still effective as long as it does not get very hot -- but the temper of high carbon steel changes at heats we commonly bake bread, and a pizza oven temperature will make big changes in ability to hold sharp edges.

Those scraper are a great way to use high carbon steel -- the cutting edges will not get hot quickly with light cuts, and the resilient spring steel shanks will have good vibration control.

triw51

Nice to see someone doing old school style tools. Exotic steels might be popular but basic carbon steels worked nicely for hundreds of years.

Along with outhouses and horse drawn conveyance -- that worked well for a long time. The challenge of disposal of waste products from horses in cities before the turn of the 20th century makes for some interesting reading. 1899-1900 is when the introduction of High Speed Steel made the revolutionary change in metal work -- what a difference a few differences in alloys and a change in heat treatment made in how machine work is done.

A hundred and fourteen years later, HSS is well established and old hat --

High carbon steel is still effective as long as it does not get very hot -- but the temper of high carbon steel changes at heats we commonly bake bread, and a pizza oven temperature will make big changes in ability to hold sharp edges.

Those scraper are a great way to use high carbon steel -- the cutting edges will not get hot quickly with light cuts, and the resilient spring steel shanks will have good vibration control.

Funny story: I went to a shop that makes custom springs for trucks, motorhomes etc. I wanted to buy some of the scrap pieces. The foreman showed me around and let me pick what I wanted. I purchased about 50 pounds and he helped me load the metal in my truck. To show my appreciation I gave him a 50 cal. pen. He was so excited he showed it to the owner who said I could have another 50 pounds for a pen. so for about $20 dollars and a few pens I had a boat load of good quality spring steel to play with.
Ken you are right about vibration it is non existant with the spring steel and long handles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom