Poplar Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

At 7.00 PM last night that vase was just a flat poplar board as shown that measured 20" x 8" x 3/4" .
I cut the rings and glued and pressed them to cure overnight . This morning I spent half an hour sanding it down smooth to 400 grit and applied a sanding sealer and three coats of lacquer .

herrwood

At 7.00 PM last night that vase was just a flat poplar board as shown that measured 20" x 8" x 3/4" .
I cut the rings and glued and pressed them to cure overnight . This morning I spent half an hour sanding it down smooth to 400 grit and applied a sanding sealer and three coats of lacquer .

Helpful photo new to lathes so far just making 2x2's into tooth picks in learning to use the tools. Never thought about stacking wood to make items

W.Y.

Helpful photo new to lathes so far just making 2x2's into tooth picks in learning to use the tools. Never thought about stacking wood to make items

It wasn't just a bunch of rings stacked and then hollowed out .
Out of the five rings shown on that one piece of wood , that was all that was used to make the thirteen rings when counting them on the side of it .

It is surprisingly light in weight because the rings are a uniform 1/4" thickness throughout and no lathe tools were used at all . Only sandpaper .

donwatson

This piece is more complex than I thought, an extremely well crafted bit of work. Well done.

take care
Don W

Last edited:
Top Bottom