Tru-Silver™ Proof Michigan quarter!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

Ok folks, this thread is gonna show the transformation of a "For Collection Only" Proof Silver quarter from its solid state to cut and ready to cast medium. For this particular coin, there are collectors out there that would cringe just hearing what I'm gonna do to this thing. But as many of you know, its all in the name of creating a blank that is over the top, (lets hope it works!)

Please pardon the scuff marks on the package, they are not on the coin.

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

seamus7227

here it is outside of the package

Attachments

• 2011-08-14 20.20.32-1.jpg
    2011-08-14 20.20.32-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 2011-08-14 20.19.27-1.jpg
    2011-08-14 20.19.27-1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 172

seamus7227

gold is next in line! baby steps brotha, baby steps, lol! besides, I need a buyer before I go off spending that kinda money

OKLAHOMAN

Seamus, tonights Sunday night, all day the liquor store have been closed, I'm almost out of Antique 107 Old Weller and you know how jittery I get when you do those.....please, please don't show me more than one more photo.

seamus7227

I'm not very happy with this at all, but here it is.

Attachments

• 2011-08-14 21.22.41-1.jpg
    2011-08-14 21.22.41-1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 288

BSea

For this particular coin, there are collectors out there that would cringe just hearing what I'm gonna do to this thing.
And I'm one of them:eek:. Did I cringe? Yes. Do I object? No. I do think your quarter blanks are really awesome. But I don't really see what you gain from using a silver proof. The mint mark is on the other side, so I doubt that many would ever know it's a silver proof quarter. Just think twice before doing a Delaware silver proof. They sell on Ebay starting at about $30.

seamus7227

no probably not, that was using a cotton t- shirt too. But it doesn't look as bad as the picture makes it.

JasonJ

I wonder how that would look cast with a tube that was painted blue? Also, if you were really wondering about a gold coin I think they make reproduction coins that look like the real thing. Obviously when you cut into them they'll be easy to spot as a fake.

seamus7227

Jeff- I actually found this quarter on ebay for around ten bucks.

If I went with a replica, that would defeat the the purpose.

BSea

Looks good. Where do I buy a new one not cut up for my collection? Also, for better marketing, its the Wolverine quarter.

Jeff- I actually found this quarter on ebay for around ten bucks.

If I went with a replica, that would defeat the the purpose.

Ebay is your best bet for finding one fast. Be sure you get a SILVER Proof coin, not just a proof coin. If that's what you're looking for.

D.Oliver

I stopped by the local conceince store this morning to get my morning caffine and when I got my change one of the quarters caught my attention. It was the Arizona quarter. Have you done one of them yet?

seamus7227

Can you cast it in something for the cutting and then remove it afterward? Does PR melt away easily?

Not sure, all i know is that surface can be scratched with a hair touching(figuratively speaking) Maybe that wont be the way for me to go.

You could try covering it in clear tape to keep anything from barely scratching it.

thats what my boss at work said too! I just worry that the heat will cause the glue to stick to the surface and leave a residue when i peel it off. In theory, it sounds like it would work, but if you are familiar with these type of coins, all it takes is a feather to lay a scratch down one of these things. Proof coins may just need to be off the list for a while, like someone else has already mentioned, what difference does it really make.

Who knows, maybe i will just go with GOLD coins:biggrin::rolleyes: Talk about an expensive blank!

seamus7227

well, here are the casted blanks, and flawless they are! This is gonna go on a Black Titanium Jr Gent II, abd that will be the next photo!

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 183

seamus7227

here this pic should load without having to click on it, trying to do this thru my phone

Attachments

• 2011-08-20 19.22.36-1.jpg
    2011-08-20 19.22.36-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 182

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
hmmm, that sounds like a great idea! any takers? that delaware qtr was a challenge!

personal opinion is that the silver proof will be obvious to anyone familiar with coins - you can't make a Johnson sandwich coin look like silver...and proof is obvious. Let me think on that Delaware....I own two of your regular Delaware and they are something else. Maybe we can play lets make a deal.....

seamus7227

here is the lower barrel complete! when I finish it tonight I'm hitting the sack. I will photograph it tomorrow.

wax may work, but the heat will even mess it up.I had to be careful not to heat it up to a point that would create the color changes that are typical when heating metal

Attachments

• 2011-08-21 00.10.13-1.jpg
    2011-08-21 00.10.13-1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 198

crabcreekind

here is the lower barrel complete! when I finish it tonight I'm hitting the sack. I will photograph it tomorrow.

wax may work, but the heat will even mess it up.I had to be careful not to heat it up to a point that would create the color changes that are typical when heating metal

I dont know if i am allowed to ask this, but how do you bend the coin? Or is that the trade secret?

wizard

Seamus, Outstanding!!! It was really nice to see the process and progress and for you to share with us. Beautiful!!!!:biggrin: Doc

seamus7227

I dont know if i am allowed to ask this, but how do you bend the coin? Or is that the trade secret?

James, dont ever feel like you cant ask, but yes, thats what most will call "proprietary secrets". But to answer your question, I bend it very carefully and with lots of brute strength:rolleyes::biggrin:

Seamus, Outstanding!!! It was really nice to see the process and progress and for you to share with us. Beautiful!!!!:biggrin: Doc

Thanks Doc! I have to say even though this quarter presented its own challenges, the end results were better than expected! The quarter appears as though its floating above the carbon fiber, and the scratches from the previous photo are gone! (well, they are still there, but for some reason, they appear to have disappeared. ) I may have to make these silver proofs exclusively for carbon fiber!

Curly

James, dont ever feel like you cant ask, but yes, thats what most will call "proprietary secrets". But to answer your question, I bend it very carefully and with lots of brute strength:rolleyes::biggrin:

Maybe Uri Geller's method of bending spoons by telekinesis would work and have the potential benefit of not adding any scratches. :wink:

Top Bottom