Tree Hugger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Sterling silver clip - My first project in lost wax casting class hanging on to a piece of Rosewood burl; ebonite centerband.
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Hugger1.jpg
    Hugger1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 504
  • Hugger2.jpg
    Hugger2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 504
  • Hugger3.jpg
    Hugger3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 487
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it is great Bruce!!!:biggrin:
But please don't tell us how he is 'attached' to the tree:wink::eek:

Texatdurango

Sorry Bruce but I just gotta ask... I see two hands NOT touching the tree, just how is he hanging on? :eek:

Be prepared to be asked this when you show the pen around! :)

Nice looking pen!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Gotcha, you are having way too much fun in those silver classes. What's with the black areas, is that something you just rubbed in to accentuate the details?
The black areas are created by dipping the piece in warm liver of sulfur - a common technique for working with silver. Actually when you do, everything turns black, but you buff or tumble off the high spots to get them to shine again and the recesses stay dark. Look at some detailed silver jewelry and you'll see plenty of that. And fun - heck yes and also saves in the long run. There's less than $5 worth of pure silver in the clip and the tap and die works well for a custom coupling. A $4 nib and if you don't count the thousands I've spent on tools and classes I'm way ahead of the game.

Freethinker

Maaaaaaan..........this pen may be the most amazing one I've seen yet, of the countless pens I've seen pictured on this site.

Your work is always superb, but this one is truly jaw dropping.

All jokes about possible methods of "attachment" aside, this is a truly inspired effort.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
That is GREAT Bruce. Do you make any to sell, I would love few of them, to give to tree hugging friends of mine!
Thanks Mike - Most of my pens these days are one of a kind. I do sell a few, but for the price I would have to charge, you're probably better off learning how to do them. Its not difficult, just a time consuming. If you like doing this type of work, there's a class close to you at the Visual Arts Center in Richmond.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mike - Most of my pens these days are one of a kind. I do sell a few, but for the price I would have to charge, you're probably better off learning how to do them. Its not difficult, just a time consuming. If you like doing this type of work, there's a class close to you at the Visual Arts Center in Richmond.

Great, that's how I got into this mess in the first place. Saw a pen made by a guy that doesn't sell his pens and now you show that clip and say make it yourself.:rolleyes:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bruce, doing the 'lost wax' method, is there any shrinkage like PMC? If you make things like that regularly, will you be able to get your own hallmark?

Cheers

Also wanted to ask....
You said that 'there is less than $5 worth of pure silver in the clip' Does this mean that the whole clip is pure silver and it only cost $5 or is there other material mixed with it? Like less-pure silver?

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bruce, doing the 'lost wax' method, is there any shrinkage like PMC? If you make things like that regularly, will you be able to get your own hallmark?

Cheers

Also wanted to ask....
You said that 'there is less than $5 worth of pure silver in the clip' Does this mean that the whole clip is pure silver and it only cost $5 or is there other material mixed with it? Like less-pure silver?
Some say that there is a little shrinkage with lost wax but not nearly the way PMC does. Unlike PMC where you are burning away a binder. the lost wax process involves making a plaster-like mold from the wax, burning out the wax and filling the cavity with silver or other metal of your choice. Never thought about the hallmark - hmmmm.

This clip is solid sterling silver which is 92.5% pure. I mentioned that to differentiate from the plated sterling in some kits. The clip weighs less than half an ounce and at the current market rate of silver it calculates to about $5 worth. You can buy purer silver as well as some other grades, but I think most casters prefer sterling.

Top Bottom