Trays for Christmas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jd99

jd99

Here is a sample of some of the 18 candy or chip trays I made (well still working on the last 3) for Christmas presents this year.

Next year I hope to be good enough with the pens, i'll give pens, and boxes. But I think I'm going to start in July. :wink:

Attachments

• Trays -finished.jpg
    Trays -finished.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 475
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

I wish I knew how you made those - they're amazing!

I glue up the blanks with what ever wood they are going to be made of, and use router templates to cut the inside first I hog most of the material out with a forstner bit, then use my router with a bowl bit and finish the inside, then scribe the outside shape, band saw the outside, and sand with spindle sander. Then route the radius on the top and botom edges with the router table then finish sand. I use walnut oil, and wax for the finish.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Andrew!! Danny has given you all the info you need!!! (Thanks Danny--nice work and kind of you to tell us how it's done!!)

So we'll look forward to seeing more soon!!!!

Great presents!!!

beck3906

Will Exotic Blanks be offering a new product line?:biggrin:I can see a new supplier of router supplies. That's all I need...more ways to spend money.

The trays are really nice. I've collected a few templates myself but haven't had time to use them. You've given me the inspiration to start.

Last edited:

jd99

Another project

This is the project that got me started in woodworking about four years ago. My wife raises and breeds Finches, and she wanted a cage that looked like it belonged in the house, so this is what I made her.

I had never done raised panel doors before, or anything big out of wood, this took a couple of years to finish, as I did it all in my spare time while working a full time job, I did all the metal work myself, (retired tool & die maker) made the frames for the wire mesh from scratch, etc. The unit has three seperate cages; wire mesh on the sides top and bottom, and acrylic on front and back doors.

Attachments

• Finished cage1.jpg
    Finished cage1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 190

Jeremy

Nice. Did you make the templates yourself or is there somewhere with an assortment of them?

CHICAGOHAND

Nice work. I have used the same system. The only dislike is the sanding on the inside.
Anyone have any tips????????

Attachments

• 100_0826.jpg
    100_0826.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_0828.jpg
    100_0828.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_0825.jpg
    100_0825.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_0821.jpg
    100_0821.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_0823.jpg
    100_0823.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 147

jd99

JD99-
Can you tell me where you got the patterns for the Xmas pieces?
Thanks
I ordered them from Eagle, I now have them all except the santa hat, I also have the regular round set (chip tray), and the heart set for Val. Day.

I started with the set from CMT, but I like the ones from Eagle because they are acrylic, and I can use double sided tape, when I used the double sided tape on the mdf ones from CMT, it started tearing the mdf up with every use. The acrylic doesn't have that issue.

ctubbs

That is some very good work. I know I have been looking at those for a bit, but the $$ scared me off. Thanks for showing your beautiful work. They will make someone very happy this Christmas.
Charles

jd99

How are you dealing with sanding the inside???
It's a Pain in the A... the bottoms I sand with the 2" daisy edge sanding disc, and a 1" disc, the sides Inside & Out I sand by hand, and the bottom is normal sanding.

The trick is to use a good sharp bowl bit and keep it moving so you don't burn the wood; then there is less sanding, I'm on my second set of bits.
I use both the 3/4" and the 1 1/4" the only thing with the 3/4" is you can't use the bit extension because it's biger then the bit (I just kept sticking the bit out further and be careful).

If you do the tree you will need to use the 3/4" bit the 1 1/4" is a bit too much for the tight radiuses; it will work but it's white knuckle routing. :eek:

glycerine

I see the templates are made of 3/8" acrylic. Is this something that some of our resident scroll saw guys could make... and sell to us (hint, hint)?

moke

Thanks

JD99-
Can you tell me where you got the patterns for the Xmas pieces?
Thanks
I ordered them from Eagle, I now have them all except the santa hat, I also have the regular round set (chip tray), and the heart set for Val. Day.

I started with the set from CMT, but I like the ones from Eagle because they are acrylic, and I can use double sided tape, when I used the double sided tape on the mdf ones from CMT, it started tearing the mdf up with every use. The acrylic doesn't have that issue.

JD99--
Thanks for the advice, the very night I asked you this, I got the mail and there was a new Eagle flyer. It is good to know that I should get these instead of the CMT. Thanks again..

hebertjo

Anyone have an idea how much these x-mas trays could be sold for? It sounds like a lot of time spent sanding to get a good finish. I hate sanding!

Top Bottom