Razor Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dhallnc

dhallnc

Do you people that turn the razor kits prefer on vendor over another. I have only done one and it came from woodcraft. The threads were very sloppy at at the price I expected better.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe the razor kits are all made in the same factory, so any deviation in quality is not likely to be specific to a given vendor.

dhallnc

Thanks Carl. Those look like they assemble differently then one I got from WC. Do these require a threaded hole in the end of the blank?

Thanks

Last edited:

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I just turned handles for some of the razor heads that Anthony sells at thegoldennibs.

The heads come with a threaded insert. I started to just drill a hole and glue it in, but when i drilled the hole (1/8" bit) I found it was to small for the threaded rod...so i found another bit (9/64" bit) and made the hole just that much bigger...the rod threaded in perfectly....so i decided 'not' to glue it in, just in case they ever decided to want to change it out....but i see no reason that you couldn't glue it in if you preferred.

I just turned handles for some of the razor heads that Anthony sells at thegoldennibs.

The heads come with a threaded insert. I started to just drill a hole and glue it in, but when i drilled the hole (1/8" bit) I found it was to small for the threaded rod...so i found another bit (9/64" bit) and made the hole just that much bigger...the rod threaded in perfectly....so i decided 'not' to glue it in, just in case they ever decided to want to change it out....but i see no reason that you couldn't glue it in if you preferred.

I also use Anthony's shaving parts. He told me to drill out a 7mm hole, put in some 7mm tube and then attach the head that way....works fine

PenMan1

I make quite a few razors.

To my knowledge, there are three separate and distinct sets. I do agree with Ed4copies in that the heads of all
three different sets is identical and they all likely all come from the same mold in the same factory.

The PSI sets are similar to the Berea sets, only the trim pieces are different. The heads sold by the Golden Nib and others have even a different trim ring and the head accepts a threaded rod instead on a press fit tube. The threaded rod design opens up many design possibilities.

The Berea set comes in 6 or 7 different platings. I have purchased most of these. The chrome is my favorite because the plating is very durable. I sell quite a few gold but the plating isn't as durable. The black satin sells pretty well, the others.....not so much.

The black TN is nice, but the price difference makes it a "shelf dweller, not a seller"

dhallnc

Thanks for the feedback. I just finished making one for my son that came from WC. I like making those. Pretty simple for a nice finished product, although a bit pricey.

After Christmas I'll order several from the golden nip and give them a try.

What do you use for finish?

nava1uni

I use a little CA on the threads and it works well. It seals the threads so no waters gets inside the tube. I have used Woodcraft and Berea and the parts are interchangeable. Both of these kits have heads with a threaded rod. I prefer the chrome as they are very sturdy and the finish holds up very well.

Top Bottom