has anyone made a fire piston from scratch?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glycerine

glycerine

Have any of you ever made a fire piston from scratch. Looks like a simple design, but I'm wondering if the details matter like diameter and length of the hole/tube. If anyone has a design they would be willing to share, I'd appreciate it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyers

I am in the process of making one.

I used a 1/4" brass tube from the Borg per instructions I found. Just got the 4" one and a metal rod that just fit inside.

If you look you can find directions online that show hoe to do it outside a turned peice of wood.

glycerine

I am in the process of making one.

I used a 1/4" brass tube from the Borg per instructions I found. Just got the 4" one and a metal rod that just fit inside.

If you look you can find directions online that show hoe to do it outside a turned peice of wood.

Thanks.

glycerine

glycerine

what is a fire plug. Some thing used to fend off the gas on your bottom side?

Basically it's a small device that will generate alot of heat inside a tube by compressing air. Put a small piece of tinder in it and you can ignite it and then use the ember to start a fire... You'll find alot of info if you google it. More than I can explain, at least.

Andrew Arndts

what is a fire plug. Some thing used to fend off the gas on your bottom side?

Um, ahh, no...
A fire piston is a device that one can use to start a camp fire. A pseudo primitive tool that is based on how a diesel engine.
When air molecules are rapidly compressed within the cylinder, the temperature of the air becomes hot enough to cause combustion. A single thrust of the piston ignites tinder placed in the end of the shaft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

Top Bottom