Tazmanian Burl "art bowl"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
My first turning in months. My first "art form" ever. And very nearly my first funnel.

A piece of Nolan's Tazmanian Eucalyptus that I got from him years ago and was waiting for my skills to get up to the wood quality.

5-1/2" x 1-7/8", 3/16" thick everywhere except the center of the foot which got down to 1/64". 2 coats of Deft semi-gloss rattle-can lacquer.

Comments, critiques, suggestions for improvement happily accepted!

ps sorry about the bad photos: point 'n shoot while the finish was drying.

Attachments

• TazBurlBowl-700-1.jpg
    TazBurlBowl-700-1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 306
  • TazBurlBowl-700-2.jpg
    TazBurlBowl-700-2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 157
  • TazBurlBowl-700-3.jpg
    TazBurlBowl-700-3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'll bet it made the shop smell good while turning it, too!

Sadly, I have no idea. My sinuses have become so sensitive to dust/fumes that I do everything with a high quality filter. I don't get to smell anything anymore. :frown: Although, that isn't all bad, like when turning buffalo horn. PHEWWWWww.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welllll, when do you become a non-newbie? This was my first art bowl, my second bowl that didn't blow up on the lathe, and only my 6th bowl total.

My thing is I never seem to do lots of anything. I like trying doing different things. Lots of the same gets boring. Ya' know?

GK

Beautiful work. In my opinion you are no longer a Newbie.

Rfturner

great job on the bowl I don't think any one would use it for food though defininately just art

Some people never get out of thier comfort zone so they stay in the beginning stages of anything, I would say that you are not in that section at all

Parson

Very, VERY cool. Can you tell us if you turned it wet or dry? Was the moisture content so low when you finished it that you could apply the top coat finish to it immediately, or did you let it dry out for X days or months?

I'm still learning about bowl turning (I'm sure you can tell!)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
fiferb said:
Wow! That just looks scary to me. Terrific job, Greg!

If it had been anything other than Eucalyptus burl it probably would have been very scary. But Eucalyptus is so hard and strong that it never seemed at risk of blowing up at all. Even the 1/64" bottom is still very stiff and strong.

Some people never get out of thier comfort zone so they stay in the beginning stages of anything, I would say that you are not in that section at all

What's this "comfort zone" you speak of? I don't think I've ever been there. :biggrin:

Very, VERY cool. Can you tell us if you turned it wet or dry? Was the moisture content so low when you finished it that you could apply the top coat finish to it immediately, or did you let it dry out for X days or months?

I don't have a moisture meter yet. The block had been sitting in my garage for more than a year so it was "mostly" dry. I thought it was fully dry but one of its cracks has started to grow a bit so I don't think it was.

I took it off the lathe and directly outside to spray the finish on it.

I'm still learning about bowl turning (I'm sure you can tell!)

Me too!!

Top Bottom