Segmentation Cut and Glue Practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I cut and glued the segments for this one last night and turned it on the lathe this afternoon.
Just a very plain no frills piece because I was not entirely satisfied with how some of my previous pieces turned out. I got a bunch of real nice hardwoods a while back and didn't want to waste it on mistakes so I made this one out of scraps but before I did I spent considerable time on getting my cutting sled adjusted. Not sure if it was by good luck or by good management but I got my sled cutting scary accurately . The twelve pieces in the bottom were not glued in two halves and then sanded to put the halves together . They fit so accurately that I just glued them up all at once and put the whole twelve together and snapped an elastic band around them and that was it. For the bigger rings I am still doing them in halves but the amount that they are out is no more than paper thickness and some are even closer than that. I only have to "kiss" the half rings on the sander to allow them to mate properly.

Sometimes in a case like this it pays to not get in too much of a hurry when embarking on a different art form because now as I progress I will have more confidence that things are going to turn out better than they did previously .

Segmentgluepractice1.jpg

Segmentgluepractice3.jpg

Segmentgluepractice2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

Outstanding work. I appreciate the bottom the most. For anyone who has not attempted to segment the bottom of a bowl like that, it is not easy because the segments have to be perfect in order to avoid a gap .. Most people just use a solid block for the bottom, or else they turn a small hole in the bottom and a plug. Nice work, William.

nava1uni

This is very beautiful. I really like the bottom both inside and outside. The shape accentuates the beauty of this part of the vessel. I am in awe of segmented pieces. You did a beautiful piece of art work. Thanks for sharing it.

W.Y.

Thanks All for the kind replies.

Turning that one this afternoon was not ALL fun. I had a little mishap.
I was only about five minutes into using a roughing gouge on the outside of that piece . I had my thumb on the inside of the flute of the roughing gouge and a sharp chunk of maple decided to attack me. It was my own fault . I should have had a leather glove on with my thumb that close to the piece. It bled profusely but I put a couple tight band aids over it and then a leather glove and then continued right through turning, sanding and finishing. Can't stop for a little mishap like that . . lol . .

Cutthumbfromgougetutning.jpg

LouCee

So this was practice using scraps? When you get this segmenting thing figured out you'll have to post some more pics. :biggrin:

Seriously though it looks great! Like others have already mentioned I like the bottom. Nice work!

W.Y.

I'd say clean up the wound first. :)

Yes , I understand what you are saying. Nice pun on your part there :star: :biggrin:

What I was referring to about cleaning up my act before going further was to get my sled adjusted as close as possible to the proper angle and surfacing and thicknessing the rings properly before using some of my better woods. Wouldn't feel so bad if it didn't turn out to my satisfaction when using scraps of wood from other jobs..

My wife went a little ape when I brought this one in from the shop. I had showed her some rings of it earlier and she didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did. I don't know if she will let me sell it. That's if she can find it now . :wink:It's finders keepers don't-cha know :biggrin: :biggrin:

W.Y.

So this was practice using scraps? When you get this segmenting thing figured out you'll have to post some more pics. :biggrin:

Seriously though it looks great! Like others have already mentioned I like the bottom. Nice work!
Yep those pieces were just scraps. Segmentation is good for using up odds and ends of leftovers from other jobs.

Here is the latest little stash of wood I got and I have never cut an inch off one of those pieces yet.

Maple , walnut , cherry , purpleheart , and yellowheart .

384274353.jpg

Fred

William ... Extremely nice piece of work you got there.

Since you slashed your thumb wide open ... were you considering making your own "Bloodwood?" :eek: I'm glad the catch was not worse for you as it definitely looks bad enough as is! Get it well ASAP.

Oh yea, go ahead and use the real Bloodwood as I believe it will take a better finish for you!

HINT: Do you by any chance have pictures of your segmentation jig that you could possibly post?

W.Y.

William ... Extremely nice piece of work you got there.

Since you slashed your thumb wide open ... were you considering making your own "Bloodwood?" :eek: I'm glad the catch was not worse for you as it definitely looks bad enough as is! Get it well ASAP.

Oh yea, go ahead and use the real Bloodwood as I believe it will take a better finish for you!

HINT: Do you by any chance have pictures of your segmentation jig that you could possibly post?

I am using the segmentation sled shown HERE.

BTW . . when you have a hole in the side of turned bowl and you fill it with CA, it becomes a work of art. :wink: So now my thumb is a piece of art because I filled the void with CA. I kind of like the contrasting color it imparts to the surrounding area :biggrin:

smoky10

I love your work and I love that you share your methods with everyone. I have made some of the rolling pins and bowls from a plank you posted. Thanks for the tutorials.

el_d

Very ,very very nice William.

Did I say it was Nice?
Great job you did there, when I grow up I want to segment like William.:wink:

W.Y.

Thanks for all the nice comments .
Although any of the segment pieces I have done so far are very basic in nature compared to what we see in some sites , it is best to practice on these basic ones before going too far advanced..
I just finished building a press yesterday for gluing up the rings which also has a feature for centering the rings better than previous methods I have used so that will help. I have also found where I can get some wood venners in the closest city to me and they will also help with the appearance of some of the rings and as accents between them as well .
Segmentation takes time and practice but it presents a nice challenge . A person has to do it for the love of it because I don't see any possible way it would ever pay as far as sales go when considering time and material and required machinery and jigs etc.
The fun continues . . . . . . . :wink:

W.Y.

Thanks for all the comments.
Thumb is getting better and I am back in the shop starting a new one and it will include my first attempt at using thin veneer between some of the segments .
If it is worth showing when done I will post it in a new thread.

Yep, still a rookie. I always learn something new when doing segmentation work . I will be trying out the glueing press with the ring centering feature I built a couple days ago on the next one. But first, it takes a few days to glue up the rings and let the glue cure before turning.

Top Bottom