That was almost completed
Walnut_Burl008.jpg

When it attempted to fly
Walnut_Burl009.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

Humpty Dumpty sat in a lathe
Humpty Dumpty just wouldn't be stave
All the penturners and all of his men.......
just couldn't keep Humpty from flying within. :tongue:

So sorry for your loss :frown:

65GTMustang

TURN THAT FROWN UPSIDE DOWN!
I have made some of the coolest pieces of "Stuff" from broken bowls.
Take a look at your bowl to see if you can find three nice looking curved cuts in it.
You can cut with a band saw or carve by hand - With the three curves create a "New Age" abstract art design from it by mounting it to a contrasting color / type wood base. Or think about attaching the pieces with a different medium - perhaps metal rods etc....
GET CREATIVE -I bet you can come up with something that will blow people away!
GOOD LUCK
SEND PICTURES

jskeen

I'm on the same page! It's not a total loss till the pieces are too small to glue back together or there is no place to grip it. You could easily duct tape it back together "seriously" long enough to pour in some epoxy mixed with crushed stone, coffee grounds, glitter or whatever, let it set up and try again. Or drill some holes and mount the pieces with an exaggerated gap between them with several sections of brass or stainless tig welding rod, or whatever other steel pinstock you have around, and epoxy into place. Or cut in some notches and "dutchman" in some patch pieces across the cracks, either tight or offset. Whatever you do, don't give up!

PS, if your time is too valuable to futz around with a repair, and you just want to get on to your next piece, send it to me! I'm under no such restraint, and can mess around with it as long as I want (in my almost nonexistent spare time). I'm sure I can come up with something to trade you for it.

James

kludge77

Thanks everyone! It was a stupid mistake. I was turning down the nib at the very end of the processed when I rubbed the tool edge and got a catch. the bowl came out the cole jaws hit the tool rest and flew straight up. I was showered in pieces. It was spectacular!

I was so upset I could barely think straight. I only found two pieces and have no idea where the other 60% of them are.

Now... I understand these things happen and I just need to chuck up another block

Last edited:

nativewooder

Another piece for the visual "lessons learned" of which there are many. It's amazing how your end result resembles soooooo many of my "early" dead bowls. Anybody who says they haven't done the same thing doesn't know the truth from cow pies!!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom