Star in a sphere

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hi everyone,

This is my 2nd attempt at a 12point star within a sphere.This one survived turning, no breaks.I didnot undercut the outer sphere, this allowed the inbetween portions to come to a point.Looks much cooler this way I think.

Attachments

• DSCF2658.jpg
    DSCF2658.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Never even heard of such a thing! Where do you guys find these things?

Very cool!! What is the timber?

Scott (I gotta dream up some stuff) B

Dale Lynch

Thanks fellas, I'm glad you like it.

Scott,the wood is Birch.It is one of the progects in Woodturning Wizardry by David Springett.

SDB777

Thanks fellas, I'm glad you like it.

Scott,the wood is Birch.It is one of the projects in Woodturning Wizardry by David Springett.

Gotta'cha...for whatever reason that book has been passed over by me. But on seeing this, I might just have to get another item for my bookshelf!

Scott (thanks for sharing inspiration) B

Lucky2

That's way above my talent level, but, it's an amazing thing to see. I can't fathom how you would turn something like this, guess I'll have to buy the book.
Len

Dale Lynch

The hardest part is going slow enough to avoid catches.The first thing you'll make is a chuck to hold the sphere.The book is very detailed in all aspects of making these.I would suggest to make the process alot easier by buying hardwood balls rather than trying to make them to start with.2 1/2" is the size I use.Good luck.Wholesale Wood Balls & Wooden Ball

Russknan

GREAT job, Dale! I can't imagine the patience that must take. As for the link you provided, all I could think about was how that can't have been the person's first - or second - or ? Can you imagine getting closer to completion and having one little catch? Do they even MAKE enough alcohol to compensate for that? [Disclaimer - I'm not advocating substance abuse but . . .] Russ

Dale Lynch

If I got to the end only to be foiled by a catch I would need some type of painkiller for a broken foot from kicking the lathe.

Top Bottom