Hackberry Natural Edge Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Our daughter made this bowl while home from college just in time to take it back with her. The wood is hackberry and the bowl was turned green start to finish. She sanded and finished it with tung oil. It is about 9" diameter and 4" high.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Really Wonderful!

My oldest son who is in Graduate school in Chicago (I'm in Ohio) heads to the lathe fairly soon when he visits. He has little actual time under his belt (I've only had a lathe for 2 years now), but he has a great eye for form and has no fear of trying new things. It's a great feeling to sit back, clean the shop and watch while the "kids" continue the pasttime. My Christmas present from him was starting supplies to try to make polymer clay blanks.

Daughter done good! Be proud.:RockOn:

robutacion

Wow, she done a great job on it, these are never easy to make and she certainly is brave enough to take it to such thickness, congrats to her...!:biggrin:

PS: I would be calling your daughter by name if I knew what is was, how old is she...??:)

Cheers
George

Charlie_W

Wow, she done a great job on it, these are never easy to make and she certainly is brave enough to take it to such thickness, congrats to her...!:biggrin:

PS: I would be calling your daughter by name if I knew what is was, how old is she...??:)

Cheers
George

My daughter's name is RoseMarie and she started turning pens in 11th grade shop class. This was her 3rd bowl. She is now in her 3rd year of college and this summer was when she turned her first bowl - maple vessel. She is looking forward to next summer so she can have some consistent time on the lathe.

Thank you all for the kind words and yes I do enjoy turing in the shop with her.

Attachments

• IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 165

robutacion

Cheers
George

My daughter's name is RoseMarie and she started turning pens in 11th grade shop class. This was her 3rd bowl. She is now in her 3rd year of college and this summer was when she turned her first bowl - maple vessel. She is looking forward to next summer so she can have some consistent time on the lathe.

Thank you all for the kind words and yes I do enjoy turing in the shop with her.

Thanks for that...!

I can see that RoseMary is a very artistic person, and she is certainly "flying high" when it comes to bravery, the piece you just added is a of considerable size and something that I wouldn't expect a young lady to attempt yet so, it seems you have an artist there and I hope that, RoseMary doesn't lose her passion for turning, something she is proving to be, very good at it, good for her, go girl...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Our daughter made this bowl while home from college just in time to take it back with her. The wood is hackberry and the bowl was turned green start to finish. She sanded and finished it with tung oil. It is about 9" diameter and 4" high.

Charlie,
I'm duly impressed.... Hackberry is one of my favorite woods to turn and it turns so nicely green... Natural edge bowls are a real impressive way to get into bowl turning.

I have a whole tree cut and stacked at the end of my shop for me to get turned this spring... some of the wood is showing spalt and that is when HB really gets pretty.

Charlie_W

Thanks again for the comments.
RoseMarie has enjoyed turning.
The maple vessel she did last summer was under the watchful eye of a member of our turning club who likes to start turners on a project like that instead of something small. Dave showed her how to make cuts and then let her at it.
She used a bowl gouge inside top and then followed with a Carter hollowing tool after getting into solid wood. This vessel won a nice prize at a Woodcraft contest last fall.

At our December club meeting, she won the bring back raffle.(a nice padauk turning with a candle) The bring back she turned before going back to school was a red mulberry natural edge bowl. I will post a pic of it in a new thread.

I will pass along the compliments.

SDB777

Is that vessel in post #5 as big as it looks?:eek:

I'm guessing the Hackberry is 'expected' to move some during drying...or will the tung oil slow the process down enough to keep it from becoming a 'football' shape?
Sure would like to see your set-up...thinking you have some really cool 'tools' in the shop!!! And maybe you can convince the 'artist' to make a video to show the rest of how to do it?(Just tell her she'll be famous:wink:)

Definitely a 'natural'!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Scott (I gotta step up my game) B

Charlie_W

Is that vessel in post #5 as big as it looks?:eek:

I'm guessing the Hackberry is 'expected' to move some during drying...or will the tung oil slow the process down enough to keep it from becoming a 'football' shape?
Sure would like to see your set-up...thinking you have some really cool 'tools' in the shop!!! And maybe you can convince the 'artist' to make a video to show the rest of how to do it?(Just tell her she'll be famous:wink:)

Definitely a 'natural'!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Scott (I gotta step up my game) B

Scott,
Yes, the maple vessel is good size. I am having RM send me the finished measurements.
Here is a pic of RoseMarie sanding the inside of the hackberry bowl on the Nova 16/24 lathe. Jet mini in the background.
The garage is pretty full of stuff....and more stuff.
Tools include: drill press, disc sander, table saw, scroll saw, 2bandsaws, compressor, dust collector, jointer, portable planer, 2 power miter saws, and all the hand tools. I have been in the kitchen & bath industry since the early 70's.

Oops, the photo flipped on me.....Oh we'll, look at it sideways! :biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 99

Fishinbo

Gorgeous bowl! Like the grains on that Hackberry and the natural edge looks amazing. She's one talented woodworker and she got it from her Dad.

Charlie_W

Thanks Claude! She has also gotten some good training from our club members.

Scott, the maple vessel is about 10" tall and almost 9" diameter.

Top Bottom