Any Coffee Drinkers out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wooden_Pen_Turner_11

I've never ground coffee, and I hardly drink it, but the lady friend's family loves the stuff. Has anyone here put together a coffee grinder from PSI?

Cast Bronzed Coffee Grinder Mechanism: 3 in.x4 in.x6 in. high at Penn State Industries

I'm looking at getting one, but I have a few questions. After someone grinds coffee, would they leave it in the drawer? If so, would the wood and finish I choose affect the taste or toxicity? I don't want to kill anybody.. Her family likes me. :) Also, how well do these work compared to commercially sold grinders? I read a comment on another of their grinder kits, and someone had to tweak it a bit first. Others were worried about metal shavings.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I am going to try them as they look cool. All finishes are usually food safe once cured. 30 days..
Lin.

Jim Burr

Banned
I think those are cool!!! I cheat, use a Keurig. I think CSUSA has them as well. The bronze is pretty tough so the shavings idea maybe a little thin. I can't do flat work but there is a pepper/coffee mill out there that uses a round blank.

Fatdawg

I have made a few of the grinders and use one frequently. I only grind the amount needed for a brew. I have not had any "metal grindings in the coffee. As for the finish on the inside of the box, I didn't apply any to the inside and just left bare.

BigE

Coffee aficionados will tell you that this grinder mechanism doesn't do a good job. Everyday coffee drinkers seem to think it does a decent job.

I've thought about trying it out, but get discouraged reading the reviews. I wouldn't say I was a coffee snob, but my last coffee maker cost much more than my mortgage payment on my house and 5x what I paid for my lathe.

The similar model from Rockler used to say it was for display purposes only. Apparently the original antiques that these companies copied actually did a pretty good job, though.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Coffee aficionados will tell you that this grinder mechanism doesn't do a good job. Everyday coffee drinkers seem to think it does a decent job.

I've thought about trying it out, but get discouraged reading the reviews. I wouldn't say I was a coffee snob, but my last coffee maker cost much more than my mortgage payment on my house and 5x what I paid for my lathe.

The similar model from Rockler used to say it was for display purposes only. Apparently the original antiques that these companies copied actually did a pretty good job, though.
:frown: Thanks

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I always laugh when I hear that or similar terms:). I recently saw on TV a group of "experts" talking about coffee. Their claim was that from the 1920's or so on Americans were drinking "swill" because the coffee was perked and hence the water passed more than once through the grounds. Of course, they didn't take into account that Americans liked the taste of that coffee. I still do.

That being said, those hand grinders are very likely not too good at grinding for today's coffee makers, which seem to like a much finer grind than the older methods of making coffee needed.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you're grinding your own beans, chances are, you own a French Press, and could definitely appreciate a coarse grind.
As one who does, at times, grind my own beans -- I don't even know what a French press is...I do know that virtually all of the preground coffee for todays makers is a finer grind then we got when my wife and I first got married. And, the grinder's we've used grind for todays makers and what they say is "coarse" is still finer that we got.

Funny thing is my wife and I, right now are using an almost 50 year old electric perculator and we love it.

Top Bottom