Spectraply Blanks 20 for $10 incl shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

lhowell

Received mine this past weekend and they appear to be good quality. Great variety in colors they sent too! Already have a red, white, and blue picked out for a bolt action bullet pen!

sbwertz

Two years ago when we started the Blind turning project, we were given a LFR box of spectraply pen blanks in dozens of different colors. We have about 20 of them left. They are great for beginners because they are fully stabilized. I even glued four of them together to make a blank big enough to make wine bottle stoppers.

RKB

Question about blanks?

Darn it, missed this sale, but I'll keep watching for the next one.
Question: Were the blanks you received "stabilized"? PLMK
Thanks
Rod

jttheclockman

These are basically layered woods that are dyed. Maybe an aspen or maybe a pine. They are glued under pressure and being solid woods for layers there are no voids. These do not need to be stabilized. Now with the porous end grain finishing may take some finicky coats depending what you use. They are light weight which is a plus when making larger pens.

The other blanks that you maybe talking about was dymondwood. Those blanks were immersed in an acrylic resin which made them great for no finish needed. Just sand and polish. If you want to say they were stabilized then feel free to do so. Hope that helps a little.

eharri446

I got my two boxes on Wednesday. I open one and the colors looked like a color spectrum. I will be turning one of them tomorrow to see how they look when finished.

I would like to Thanks TonyL for posting the information on this special offer. Just wished that I would have ordered more bixes than the two that I did order.

Can not wait to see the pens that everyone makes with these blanks. Maybe we can get a special thread set up for them to be posted to.

Michael67

I received my blanks on Wednesday. Ready to give them a try. I turned one (It must have been the "Dymonwood") about 5 years ago. I gave it to a co-worker and only a few months later the colors started to fade. He says he likes the pen and keeps using it. Now, I will make him another one that should not fade. :)

TonyL

You are welcome Elwin. I have enjoyed turning them. Let me know if you want to drive up to Alpharetta and turn some.

Michael there is a page with pics, but here are some that I turned last week. I already posted these, so I hope am not clogging up the server.

Attachments

• Spectra orande and black.jpg
    Spectra orande and black.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Spectra Pink.jpg
    Spectra Pink.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 120
  • spectra purple and black.jpg
    spectra purple and black.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Spectra orande and black John 1633.jpg
    Spectra orande and black John 1633.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 134
  • Spectra Red and Green.jpg
    Spectra Red and Green.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I received my blanks on Wednesday. Ready to give them a try. I turned one (It must have been the "Dymonwood") about 5 years ago. I gave it to a co-worker and only a few months later the colors started to fade. He says he likes the pen and keeps using it. Now, I will make him another one that should not fade. :)

Michael, there are or were various forms of colored plywood out there. I doubt the one that you had was Dymondwood and faded because that is some of the harder woods because it is infused with an arylic resin. This form would be more suspect to fading but I have no proof of this.

I got my two boxes on Wednesday. I open one and the colors looked like a color spectrum. I will be turning one of them tomorrow to see how they look when finished.

I would like to Thanks TonyL for posting the information on this special offer. Just wished that I would have ordered more bixes than the two that I did order.

Can not wait to see the pens that everyone makes with these blanks. Maybe we can get a special thread set up for them to be posted to.

I started this thread last week. I am hoping everyone shows us their spectraply pens and other projects. This stuff can be used for many funky looking projects.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/show-us-your-spectraply-pens-other-projects-141951/

KenV

Darn it, missed this sale, but I'll keep watching for the next one.
Question: Were the blanks you received "stabilized"? PLMK
Thanks
Rod

Rod

They sell a large flat rate box for about $60 that is listed as holding 119 pieces.

Same page as bottle stoppers, just use the pull down box to select pen blanks.

The challenge is that is a lot of pen blanks.

Not stabilized at that price.

Reactions: RKB

MikeinSC

FedEx brought my blanks in a few days ago. Dropped them right in the shop and bounced. I never saw him behind me.

Turned Around

Still waiting on mine. Ordered quite a while ago. Looked up the tracking number, it said that the package was returned to sender based on an incorrect address. Confirmation was fine, PayPal had the correct address. Apparently their sales order sheet wasn't right. Been emailing them ever couple days now with no reply.

Top Bottom