Spare time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

This is the time of year we get-er-done.
Right now I am building 4 tables---1 king size bed---casting some pen blanks and trying to help out here a little.
I spent the morning getting a stack of Cedar planed ---the back just loves that.
With all this going on---there's this block of apple that keeps catching my eye.
Heck what's one more project---it's not like I ever get done anyway.
So the apple jumped up on the Mustard Monster 4224 and is ready to go for a ride.

Attachments

• garapple.jpg
    garapple.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Please define spare time. I am having a little trouble understanding this concept:confused:

Where can I find this spare time? How much does it cost?

jskeen

Gary, just gotta ask, are you using a standard 1inch diameter (about) drive center to drive those log pieces you seem to like to turn? If so, are you having problems with it or what steps have you taken to avoid problems?

Pen Maker

I think they sell it over at Kroger's, they hide it well though, they spell it Thyme. It's in the spices area. If I remember correctly it was just a coupla dollars.

Daniel

What is he going to do with it? the only thing you can do with wood. make it round. I know nature started it off that way but he will make it rounder. and smaller, and being a guy probably with things like curves. something that will remind his wife that he needs to make a couple more bird houses.

Daniel

Gary, actually I am impressed that you would even put logs like that in a lathe. would have my knees knocking just thinking about turning it on. Biggest thing I have done is pepper mill blanks and hurt myself with that.

Gary Max

Yes I am starting this with a 1 inch drive spur-----It will end up on a Titan with 5 inch jaws. This wood is so solid that it will be just fine.
This block is balanced enough that I can start it just like it sits---remember that lathe will turn 50 rpms if I want to. But it will start off at 150 rpms and spin nicely.

TurnedAround

That photo kind of looks like me starting a slimline. Probably a black Ti with a golf club clip and maybe a fancy center band. Yeah, yeah, dats it...yeah:befuddled:
Do you have to stabilize a pith blank?:confused:

ED

Gary Max

Folks I just turn these monster because I love doing it. Trust me ther ain't no money in it. I may sell two or three of them a year. The only reason that apple is getting turned---I don't want to lose the blank---it's been here for about 6 months and needs to be turned.

Gary Max

Here's what she looks like getting ready to come off the Lathe.
Oh ---that's a light in the second pic (bottom) so you can see the inside.

Attachments

• wapple1.jpg
    wapple1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 169
  • wapple2.jpg
    wapple2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 164

Gary Max

Marc-- we are talking homemade---less than $30.00 material.
I looked at the fancy store bougth ones-----gee they wanted a ton of money for theirs.

Daniel

Gary, Glad you posted an after picture. I do have the pieces for making a steady for when I make pepper mills. of course I could set my lathe blanks and steady inside your steady alone.. Wish I had access to a lathe that big long enough to make a couple of pieces that big. I could win huge points with my mother and wife both. My mother has a huge clay pot that sets in her living room with a giant over sized dry flower arrangement in it. I know she would take one look at this and go nuts. She is like me / or I'm like her whichever the case, about the simple lines etc. you did a very nice job with this one.

Daniel

I have seen it before but somehow missed the show room pictures. that is quite a layout you have there. I don't wanna know how many hours of work are represented there though. I'm sending you a PM about Margies Masaics.
By the way, fletch sawn logs for the beds is really nice, but has anyone over told you you don't have to play with the whole tree at once? they do some in smaller pieces you know. Sorry had to add that. so much of your work I can see that huge weights are being handled at some time or anouther. Sort of a whole different skill needed for doing that.

Gary Max

The older I get the less of the BIg stuff we make----just think---we haul some of that to shows.
How many hours-----really works out to----years.
Hope the info I pm'ed helped

Lulanrt

Gary,
Nice stuff I checked out your web site I like big bowls. Do they sell well? How do you like your delta iron bed. I have one and I an not real happy with it. Seems to have to much vibration.
Travis

Last edited:

Gary Max

That Delta 46-715 has been around for about 10 years now---Margie now uses it to turn small stuff on. The lathe had it's limits but it has been a good lathe---of course it had been upgraded it ain't stock anymore.

marcruby

I figured it was something like that. I have one of the expensive steadies that isn't worth its weight in marbles. You could be making money doing things like that. Even my money.

>:p

Marc-- we are talking homemade---less than $30.00 material.
I looked at the fancy store bougth ones-----gee they wanted a ton of money for theirs.

Top Bottom