Spalted Pecan Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marcruby

marcruby

Some bowl blanks a roughed out in spring kept wetter than I expected and, amazingly enough I have a personal supply of very nice spalted wood. One example of this is this little (5" round by 3.5" deep).

This is my standard finish - velvit oil sealer followed by Waterlox. The finish isn't nitpicky perfect yet - I may resand with 600 grit and put a third coat of waterlox on. Then buff that out. It's hard to pay attention to fine detail when your shop is as cold as your refrigerator.

Thanks for looking,

Marc

Attachments

• SpaltedPecanBowl.jpg
    SpaltedPecanBowl.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Nice work there my friend----love the color and grain---Sure would be nice to come up with a truck load of those blanks.
How in the heck did you turn that without heat-----:)

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Oh!!! You said "Spalted Pecan Bowl" ... I was expecting a "Bowl of Salted Pecans"!

Maybe you could bring this to the MI IAP meeting (in just two weeks ... hint hint) for show-and-tell.

Talk/type/see you soon

Jim

Last edited:
Beautiful bowl.. love the wood.

One of the local artists in my area had a piece of spalted pecan that was about 5' x 12" x about 2" thick... most beautiful wood I ever saw... if I didn't know that he makes and caries knives that measure upwards to a foot long, might have tried to take it away from him... he's only about 15 years older than me and half blind, so it probably would have been a fair fight...LOL

Top Bottom