Mahogany Gaval...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gothycdesigns

gothycdesigns

My father in law, is part of a Garden Tractor pulling Assoc. He asked me if I could make him a Gaval to have for their meetings. I said sure no problem, I'll do my best. Here is the end result. The head of the gaval is Mahogany, I think the hadle is to, but couldn't remember because the name came off the cut stock.

Gaval-Mahogany.jpg

Closeup shows the 4 dark rings, those are burnt in with a wire, Thought it would give a more classy look of detail.
GavalCloseup.jpg

This next pic, shows a small gaval he leant me for a reference piece while making the new one. He asked the new gaval be larger.
Gavalpattern.jpg

It was a fun project, because I had to learn how to hold the other finished end of the gaval head in the chuck to finish turning the other side. Plus I learned a little more about making tenons so the handle could fit snug but allow enough glue to hold it securely.

Thanks for looking. P.S. I should mentioned that my lathe is just a cheapy HF model.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

good looking gavel, i've been wanting to try one of those. that one looks like it could do some pounding! how did you end up chucking the finished side?

Randy_

Nice job.

And a hint from experience if you do another one. The very thin edge bead at the end of the head is quit delicate/fragile and relatively easy to knock pieces out of if the gavel is carelessly handled.

Note that the gavel you used as a guide does not have the delicate edge right at the striking surface of the head.

gothycdesigns

good looking gavel, i've been wanting to try one of those. that one looks like it could do some pounding! how did you end up chucking the finished side?

It was hard thinking of how to do it. So I would really say this porject gave me some experience lessons. What I ended up doing was to get one end as close to design I was wanting. I then made a small tenon to be able to chuck it. I then turned it using the chuck and then carefully using some felt pieces put the finished end into the chuck and continued to finshed the whole head. Thats where in the closeup pic, you can see small divots from the chuck. So there's a learning point....lol.

As for the edge, I can see how it could be fragile, but these meeting they have don't get to heated. My father in law is a quite the woodworker himself and thought it would do very fine. He liked the gaval alot. So in stead of charging him, I called it even for him helping me bore out a piece of metal for me lathe. But will keep the edging in consideration for next time, but I think this is a one time project. Now i can say I made a gaval...lol.

Thanks for comments...glad you guys approve.

Top Bottom