Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Hey,

Got news from Ernie at Beartoothwoods.com. He is sending us a couple of Enduro kits, several pen kits and a bunch of blanks for prizes. He said he would also send us a high end Sierra, bushings and a high end blank. I told him in the spirit of the Olympics we might require there to be a swimming race across Lake Springfield and back for that one. Only prob I see is that with the milder weather planned for next week the water might be a little to chilly for that.

Don't want anyone getting hypothermia or anything...

We've got a LOT of great vendors offering us stuff so don't miss out. Have another couple of really kewl items to confirm in the next few days yet too.

THANKS ERNIE!!!
Larry

Last edited:

Hayseedboy

The prizes just keep rollin' in. Be sure and look at Freddie's updates at the beginning of this thread. I had forgotten and he reminded me this morning... figure someone else mighta forgot that too.

Michael Kogan from http://www.metalpenblanks.com/ has donated 5 of their M3 pen blanks. Best part to this deal is you as the winner will get to choose which one you want.

We will add them to the prize list at the picnic then I'll send them the names and email addresses of the winners. Then they will ask the lucky winner to choose which one of the 3/4"x3/4"x5" M3 blanks they want and then they'll ship it directly to them. The value on each of these could be as much as $35.

Definately a win for a high end pen!

Thanks Michael!!!

LR

Last edited:

MikeInMo

We have also confirmed that Craig Jackson will be there to demo the Ci1 Easy Rougher that he invented. We already have one for a giveaway complete with handle and extra carbide bit (total value $135) that someone will go home with.

massmans

Did anyone ever contact Hut Products to see if they would donate anything. I work ten miles from them and could pick up it up if they want to save on shipping.

Also I saw that there will be a swap meet style section. I plan on bringing a bunch of corian pen blanks and also some of my acrylic bottle stopper blanks. Maybe some other items also, if that is OK.

Here is what the stoppers look like finished.
http://www.massmans.org/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77

Thanks again for organizing the event, sound like it will be a great time.

Hayseedboy

Bring your bad self

Have had a few questions about bringing stuff.

Per Freddie's (Edman2) original post "4. Bring any other material you would like to sell, trade, barter! You are on your own for this activity!"

So, bring all of the pen turning (or other turning) stuff you want. HOWEVER, you might want to bring a table if you want to set up shop. We will have picnic tables but they might be already taken by the time you get there.

I plan on bringing a few things to try and trade/swap with. Also, I would hope that if you have things you would like to show off that you'd bring them too.

Be sure to check the original thread for updates.

Doc,

Awe shucks! I knew I should have put tracking on that package!

Massman,

Bring all your bad (thinkin' of the 70's meaning good) stuff!

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
"Did anyone ever contact Hut Products to see if they would donate anything. I work ten miles from them and could pick up it up if they want to save on shipping."

Stephen, email sent. Yes, HUT has signed on to provide some door prizes. Look forward to seeing you at the picnic. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

DocStram

Tell ya what ..... you guys all chip in for a plane ticket and I'll do a complimentary demo of "How to Stretch a Drill Press".

Oh yeah ..... please arrange with your local fire department to have a "Jaws of Life" on hand. I'll need it for my demo.

Hayseedboy

Hey Doc,

I once knew a fella named Chip but he ain't part of this group.

Fortunately, Harbor Freight is sending a guy from just outside of Bejing, the Greenjing province to do that demo for us. He was loaded into and sent via a medium sized box over two months ago aboard the cargo vessel Shanghai Princess which should have docked in San Diego yesterday afternoon.

Don't worry, the medium sized box should've provided more than enough dirty air per China's human rights code AND he was also given two heaping handfuls of rice so he should be very comfortable. If all goes well he should arrive USPS Priority mail by Friday. I believe we could get 20 in a standard sized priority envelope.

We were told not to worry about the jaws of life on this demo as he learned how to properly do this after the first injury. Fortunately, he only lost of his right arm and left eye during that one. Yes, his name translates to Lucky.

When he is done we just slap the preprinted return label on his forehead and sit him next to the closest Priority mailbox and he will be returned at their expense.

So, would you prefer to do the demo on something else?

lr

massmans

Here is the items from Hut.
Hut Crystal Coat 6oz x 2
Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish 8oz x 1
Magic Sand Variety pack 1 of each grade x 1
Hut PPP Combo (107/108) x 2
Hut Combo (101/102) x 1

And some catalogs
Total value ~$77.50

What a great donation. Great bunch of people to work with.

"Did anyone ever contact Hut Products to see if they would donate anything. I work ten miles from them and could pick up it up if they want to save on shipping."

Stephen, email sent. Yes, HUT has signed on to provide some door prizes. Look forward to seeing you at the picnic. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Attachments

• PIC-0018.jpg
    PIC-0018.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Hayseedboy

I'm thinking of a number...

Ok, so that probably won't be the criteria for any of the drawings Saturday but it could be fun. Or maybe a good game of paper, scissors rock for the Amboyna blank? The one Ernie sent us is a very nice one.

If you haven't already made plans you need to because if you stay home someone else will walk away with all the booty.

EVERYONE STAY HOME!

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of ya!

Larry

traderdon55

A trip from Texas to Missouri seems like a good way to spend a saturday , that way my wife can't say I never take her anywhere. I will be meeting up with another couple on the way though Arkansas so add 4 to the count that will be there. Don Barfield

Hayseedboy

Kewl! If Doc Stram doesn't drive in you may cover the most miles. What time ya leavin?

Lookin' forward to meetin' yaw'll.

Larry

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Freddie,

I will be there with my Father. Wife and kids had enough of the car after the drive down to Florida and back.

Todd
Got it Todd. See you Saturday.

A trip from Texas to Missouri seems like a good way to spend a saturday , that way my wife can't say I never take her anywhere. I will be meeting up with another couple on the way though Arkansas so add 4 to the count that will be there. Don Barfield

Don, great to have you. Coming up from the south on Highway 65 you will encounter Evans Road just before you get into Springfield. Been through New Boston many times. My older brother used to live in Texarkana.
See you Saturday.

Hayseedboy

Well, the Weather Babe just said a little while ago that tomorrow will fight to get to 80 degrees. Looks like a great day for a picnic!!!

Slow Smoked Pork, Slaw & Potato Salad mmmmmmmmmm good.

lr

Hayseedboy

For you... 25 bucks :) Or a Statesman Fountain dressed in Amboyna.

For everyone else 5 bucks a head. Ok, 5 bucks a head for you too....

lr

DSallee

......EVERYONE STAY HOME! .....

Larry

Nice try Larry BUT I'm not staying home... :tongue:

Hey... I've got my ONLY turning tool that needs sharpnin BAD and I haven't got the first clue how to... LOL ... can I bring that so someone can show me how?

or better yet...

I think there's going to be a demo on sharpening tools so maybe they use mine for the demo.. :biggrin: (it's PRETTY dull!!)

See ya all tomorrow!!
Dave & Dee

TowMater

Just finished loading up my pen blank donation. I'm afraid I got a bit carried away and loaded up closer to 2 dozen blanks rather than the dozen I had promised.

Whoever wins it might need some identifying help however as I didn't take time to mark all the blanks. I didn't mark the Desert Ironwood, Oak burl, Chechen burl, Cocobolo, and about 8-10 others I can't think of off the top of my feeble head.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Nice try Larry BUT I'm not staying home... :tongue:

Hey... I've got my ONLY turning tool that needs sharpnin BAD and I haven't got the first clue how to... LOL ... can I bring that so someone can show me how?

or better yet...

I think there's going to be a demo on sharpening tools so maybe they use mine for the demo.. :biggrin: (it's PRETTY dull!!)

See ya all tomorrow!!
Dave & Dee

Dave and Dee - Bring it on! The only thing I'm sure of is you can't get it sharpened if you don't bring it.:)

Just finished loading up my pen blank donation. I'm afraid I got a bit carried away and loaded up closer to 2 dozen blanks rather than the dozen I had promised.

Whoever wins it might need some identifying help however as I didn't take time to mark all the blanks. I didn't mark the Desert Ironwood, Oak burl, Chechen burl, Cocobolo, and about 8-10 others I can't think of off the top of my feeble head.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Todd, Why don't you divide that haul into two door prizes and share the happiness! :) See you tomorrow.

Hayseedboy

Porks on...

Put the shoulders on at 5:00 and they are startin' to get happy with a mighty nice color on'em. Little hickory... little cherry... No tellin' how much good wood I have burned over the years for the sake of BBQ.

If I had enough light I'd take a picture but it's dark-thirty here...

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Today is the Day!

Today's the day!! Git yourself on down here! It's gonna be in the 70's most of the day. Thank you Lord! We've got 40+ folks committed to attend and we take drive in's. So, come on down! It's gonna be a lot of fun! Watch for the photo thread coming soon to a forum near you!

Mmmmm...I can smell the pork cookin from here and I live 30 miles north! Yep, It's that good!:eat:

Hayseedboy

Well, just got home from the picnic. Others it's gonna take a while. Had a great time and met many of the IAP members.

Jeff Farris did a great demo on sharpening using the Tormek. And boy can he make ribbons with a sharp tool.

Craig Jackson came over from Owensboro, KY and did a demo of his Easy Rougher tool. Pretty impressive, well so much so that I bought one anyhow. Take a look at his videos on his website. Two lucky people took home one each from the drawings we had.

Jay Caughron showed us his street organs and made me feel like a kid again. Takes many many hours to make and oh what kewl sounds. He had one that wasn't quite done yet that played 4 part harmony. Kewl.

More to follow as I am sure that Freddie or Mike will be posting pictures later.

I am sure Freddie has the list of all of the folks that provided product for drawings... there was a bunch. Don't think anybody went home empty handed. Thanks for all of the great support!

Freddie served as our very well organized fearless leader and his lovely wife Linda and my wife Julie did a marvy job taking care of registering and handing out the tickets for the drawings.

To much list here but it was sure fun!

Pictures to come.

Larry

Last edited:

cigarman

Just walked in the door from the picnic and had a great time. Much thanks to all the people that planed this. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. We met a lot of good folks and had a fantastic Bar-B-Q. A special thanks to edman2, MikeInMo and Hayseedboy.

MikeInMo

Today was a lot of fun! I think we had a great turnout, gorgeous weather, tasty bbq, great demos, and even better people. It was nice to put real names and faces to several people here (even the ones who don't post...you know who you are).

Here is a photo album of some of what went on today:
http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u357/MikeInSwMo/Woodturning/IAP SW MO Picnic 2008/

Many thanks to those who donated door prizes. You were very generous, and it was greatly appreciated.

Tom - We didn't get to trade blanks and antler. Oops. I realized that right after you left.

Rifleman Frank - Too bad you couldn't make it today. I won one of the bags of blanks that you donated. What kind of wood is FF?

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
It was a lotta fun!

I'll join the others in saying it was a very nice day. 49 people from six states. Had folks from Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas and Oklahoma. Great demo's, lots of door prizes, beautiful weather (in the 70's with a nice breeze). We will have some more photos in addition to what Mike posted as soon as we can get through them and pick some.

Thanks to all the vendors and individuals that gave door prizes. Big thanks to Tim and Tracey from Wood-n-Whimsies. Thanks to the others on the planning team. They worked hard at making it a success (Hayseedboy, MikeinMo, Hughbie, Woodman928). You had to be there to hear "Wabash Cannonball" on Jay's street organ. I would tell you how good it was but you wouldn't believe me!

We did tape the demo's so as soon as we can process it and get it edited I will let you know if copies will be available. Stay turned for that. It really was a lotta fun!

Last edited:

DSallee

Yep... we had a BLAST! Got to meet some great folks and make new friends! We also took home some great blanks from swapping with a few. Thanks Wood-n-Whimsies for the cool pen kits (Picnic Special)... We needed to try some different kits and this will do great! Gonna keep us busy for a while.

Thank you Edman2, Hayseedboy, MikeinMo, Hughbie, Woodman928 for putting this together! It was GREAT! Gonna have to do this again!

Jeff Farris, thanks for the awesome demo, gonna get one of those very soon! Going to your website right now to look the packages over...

Craig Jackson, thanks for the demo on the Easy Rougher tool, the wife wants one because of how easy it is to use.

Jay Caughron, those street organs are SO AWESOME!! I have never seen one of those in person and what a great sound they make! You done an AWESOME job making those and thanks for the show!

Larry, that was THE BEST BBQ ever! and no.... we didn't put any "stuff" on it.... LOL

And to ALL the great people we met today, it was a real pleasure talking with you all! Hope to meet up again...

Edman2... It's really late tonight (just got home, LOL)... I will work on the pics from the picnic and get them sent to you ASAP... We even got some last minute visitors! As we were leaving, just over the hill from the pavilion there was a doe and 5 fawns grazing by the road!! I got a good shot of them too... and she just stood there and looked at me (less than 20 yrds away!)

Thanks again all...
Dave

Dee

My appologies for my comment being so short last night. As you can see it was about 12:30am when we got home and I was happy but bushed. I'm one of those early to bed people here lately....so I sat while dave wrote his, which he did so well and then I tootled off to bed. I want everyone to know just how wonderful it was to meet everyone and it was an honor to be in the presence of every single one of you. And might I say, that was the best BBQ I have ever had! It melted in your mouth to the point you almost didn't have to chew!

I feel tremendously lucky to be apart of this group and look forward to future gatherings.

woodman928

Thanks for the complement Dave. I see you are a copier tech if you ever have a copier that is ready for the dump let me know I need some good rollers and stuff to make a punch for the music LOL.

Jay

DocStram

Well .... after looking over the photos of the picnic .... I'm sort of glad that you guys didn't follow through on the plane ticket idea. I would have been the nastiest looking guy there. sigh

Rifleman1776

Today was a lot of fun! I think we had a great turnout, gorgeous weather, tasty bbq, great demos, and even better people. It was nice to put real names and faces to several people here (even the ones who don't post...you know who you are).

Here is a photo album of some of what went on today:
http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u357/MikeInSwMo/Woodturning/IAP SW MO Picnic 2008/

Many thanks to those who donated door prizes. You were very generous, and it was greatly appreciated.

Tom - We didn't get to trade blanks and antler. Oops. I realized that right after you left.

Rifleman Frank - Too bad you couldn't make it today. I won one of the bags of blanks that you donated. What kind of wood is FF?

Glad it was a success. Forty-nine people is a great turn-out. While y'all were enjoying the event, and BBQ, I was getting butt-weary driving from west of Denver to Joplin in one 12 1/2 hour push.
BTW, the 'FF' is my initials to identify my wood when sent to the stabilizers. Somehow, my system failed and I didn't write down the type of wood when I cut it. Call it mystery burl.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Well .... after looking over the photos of the picnic .... I'm sort of glad that you guys didn't follow through on the plane ticket idea. I would have been the nastiest looking guy there. sigh

Well Doc, you inspired me so I offered to come to the S Carolina and Georgia Bubbasville if you would send me a plane ticket. :biggrin:

Top Bottom