Sneak Preview Of Latest Segmented Vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Here is a sneak preview of my progress so far .
The bolts on my donut chuck were not long enough to turn the bottom on such a big vessel so I just sanded a concave in the bottom after parting it off the lathe .
I might just put this one in the fall fair first week in September so I was careful to have the inside as smooth as the outside because that is the first thing the judges will do . Look and feel inside. Turning the inside took twice as long as the outside. .
At this point I only have two coats of semi gloss lacquer on it . Will wait until I get the long bolts for the chuck and turn the bottom before I sand it down and put a couple more finish coats on it.

PurpleheartSegment1.jpg

PurpleheartSegment2Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Thanks for all the comments.

About the only segmented pieces I am interested in doing are basic ones like the one shown and ones shown previous to this. . This one only has 157 segments .
Some segmenters make fantastic stuff with tons more detail with many hundreds and even thousands of segments in one piece. But that type is much too time consuming for me and I would never get my money out of it.
Even this basic one took best part of two afternoons and one evening to make right from scratch but at least it should bring a hundred bucks quite easily. Not much money in them but the enjoyment of making them is worth more to me than what I get out of them. As long as I cover the price of equipment and supplies etc I am a happy camper . .er . . turner. .
Segmentation is nicer to turn than single chunks of wood because it is all face grain so no end grain sanding and finishing issues to contend with and there is a lot less hollowing out because it is built up in rings. Ten rings in this case.
Purpleheart is a hard and heavy wood which gives this one quite a heft in weight. It is bigger than the picture shows . Finished size is 9.5" diameter and 8" tall

Top Bottom