Sierra Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo5576

I received an order of Sierra Chrome pen kits awhile back. Just have a question about the kits. The nib end of the pen fits loosely in the pen tube allowing a little side play in the pen itself. Is this normal of the Sierra?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

The pen body should just slide over the front section, there should be no play, but a nice fit that allows the pen to rotate to open and close. If you have play there, maybe you could have reamed the inside of the tube out to much.

It has been noted that the transmission that screws into the front section, the threads are a little loose and should have been made to a tighter tolerance. But they do function as is.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had a few in which there is a very minute' amount of side to side play and it is loose. However, that is irrelevant for the Sierra.

The Sierra was not designed to operate with a tight fit on the nib end. The transmission screws into the nib end as mentioned by Anthony, then the other end of the transmission <b>fits tightly into the clip end of the pen tube.</b> This is where the Sierra is different and holds together.

Pipes

Originally posted by jimbo5576
<br />I received an order of Sierra Chrome pen kits awhile back. Just have a question about the kits. The nib end of the pen fits loosely in the pen tube allowing a little side play in the pen itself. Is this normal of the Sierra?

I have made a LOT a them and the were fitting good I opened one tonight and its way way to lose would have to be glued in I have I think about 10 kits here I hope some fit decent :O( I have had mine a while its a older kit . [:(!]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you glue it in you have just destroyed it.

The nib end isn't supposed to attach in any way to the pen blank/tube. It attaches to the clip-end which is press fit into the tube. The nib end has to spin freely within the tube so that you can work the transmission.

GK

Rudy Vey

The Sierra consist of mainly three parts (not counting the refill and tubes):
Nib assembly
transmission
Clip assembly

The nib assembly must fit loosely in the tube!! DO NOT GLUE IT!!
The transmission screws on to the nib assembly and the the transmission end is press fit into the clip assembly. The nib part must freely spin in the tube to the refill in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom