food coloring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

i saw recently someone used food coloring for dyeing a blank.

i've got a few niece's birthdays coming up and wanted to try dyeing some curly maple.

does anyone else have any experience with this as far as if the color fades, how many coats to apply, how long it takes to dry, etc?

thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I wonder how colorfast food coloring will be? I know that some of the wood specific dyes are not very colorfast so I would suspect that food coloring will be worse. Does anyone have any long term experience with food coloring, especially subject to UV?

JimM

I know the stains in my shirt from food dribblin down my chin just never seem to come out in the wash! and some stains are even chlorox stable. [:p]

winpooh498

I have useed just regular food coloring from the store to dye some wood. It seems to have held up very nice. If you want darker coloring use it staight, for a more faded or color wash look water it down. You can sand though it in parts if you want a weathered look.
Hope this helps.
Have a great day
Dawn[:)]

rhahnfl

It seems to me it would fade somewhat like any other coloring from uv exposure. Guess you'd have to compare a bunch of colorants side by side like they test house paint and see which ones hold up best. That's the beauty of this hobby... being creative!! I say try it and see. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom